• Chapter 3 •

Sorry for the long wait. Ya girl graduated yesterday, C/o 2018!

January 13th, 2031
Nari August

  "Class," my new teacher said trying to get the class to settle down. The students continued to talk, completely ignoring the teachers horrible attempt. There were kids sitting on top of the desks, laughing and talking without a care in the world. Judging by how soft spoken this lady was, I could tell this would be an easy class. These kids run all over her.

                     "Calm down class, we ha–"

  Before she could finish I took it upon myself to get comfortable at an empty table in the corner. I pulled out a pencil and some paper, just to keep myself occupied until I was given some work.

This was my third school this year and it's only the second semester. I just know that my parents are tired of having to transfer me to different schools because of my behavior so I'm gonna try to keep calm and not be so eager to fit in here. That's what got me in trouble the last couple of times, hanging around the wrong crowd and thinking they were actually my real friends but they weren't.

They would talk about other kids and when I'd finally put my foot down, they turned on me and began picking on me. I tried to isolate myself but ended up being cornered and that's when the fights happened.

  Like my ma said; create your own place to fit in–and my parents threatened to make coach bench me for the whole season if something didn't change.

  "You ball? I'm Erin." This one chick approached me with a pink basketball propped up under her arm. She had her black box braids in a bun with a bandanna wrapped around her head to match her outfit.

  "Why?" I lifted my brow and scrunched up my face

  "I was just asking you a question girl, dang" she rolled her eyes and turned to walk away, but I stopped her immediately starting to feel bad. Here I was being a brat to someone when I said I'd turn over a new leaf. "I play for an AAU team..."

  She turned around and placed her ball on my table, rolling it my way. I caught and spun it around on my middle finger.

  "Just 'cause you know how to do that don't mean you raw– where's your schedule?"

  I smacked my teeth and went rummaging through my bag to find my schedule. I handed it to her and she scanned it before giving it back.

"See you on the court, 4th block"

She took her ball back and went back to her group who watched us interact like hawks.

"Aye, what was that about?" I heard one of the girls whispered to her. "You tryna let shorty ball wit' us?"

"Yeah, she seems cool... I mean if it's a problem you can always sit out– it ain't like you do shit anyway."

And with that Erin plugged in her headphones and vibed out while old girl sat there looking stuck. I see who the weak link of the pack is and I could tell she would be problematic. Hopefully she stays away from me, the last thing I need is to be fighting on my first day and second period has barely started.

Chresanto August
"... Turn your burners on low and let the shrimp simmer– now would be a good time to wash whatever need to be cleaned." I instructed my students while wiping my hands on towel. After drying my hands, I headed over to my desk that sat in the corner of the room.

  I pulled out my phone seeing I had a plethora of missed calls, most of them from Jacob and some from my mother and Samuel. There were also several text messages.