Chapter Twenty-Six - Ross

Chapter Twenty-Six – Ross

Harper's CD4 cell count was low. Scarily low. His viral load was detectable.

"But he was fine a moment ago," was all I could say. I couldn't think of anything to say; what could you say in a situation like that? Harper had been conscious for a short while after we'd arrived, but fallen back into unconsciousness, definitely too physically exhausted to move, let alone speak. I couldn't rest, or sit still. He'd opened his eyes twice and nodded once, but he hadn't spoken to me. We didn't know if he'd had a stroke.

"Rest is important for him," the doctor told me kindly, trying to reassure me. "We're waiting on the scans to see if there's been any permanent damage to the brain. We're trying to rule out a stroke."

I didn't believe her. I needed to make Harper move again, smile again, tell me he was okay. "He was dancing an hour ago," I argued feebly. "Laughing and smiling-"

"Sometimes it can be a very quick change," the doctor said, and then checked her forms. "And sometimes patients forget to tell us when they feel unwell, because they don't think it's a serious problem. They forget it can lead to serious problems."

I felt angry.

Angry at the doctor for blaming it on Harper. Angry at Harper for not telling us he was feeling unwell. Angry at his stupid cheerful attitude, declaring that he didn't need help or support. Angry at myself for not realising it sooner and forcing him to go to the hospital.

Was it my fault?

"Ross?" I heard a familiar voice, and looked up to see my aunt.

I blinked in confusion, wondering briefly if I was hallucinating, and said, "Mary? What on earth are you doing here?"

"Your father," she frowned. "He had an episode, just after we left church - we couldn't get in touch with Raven, we didn't know her phone number. We were hoping your father's carer could tell us the number."

I closed my eyes. My dad had had an episode on the same day that Harper collapsed. I managed to say, "No, we didn't know, we've been waiting here for... a friend of ours, he collapsed today, had a seizure."

"Oh," Mary said, and then added, "I'm sorry to hear that. Your dad is in asleep right now - can you try to get in touch with Raven? Tell her that he's in."

I nodded. "I will."

"Will you see him?" she asked.

I laughed harshly. "I think I'd just give him another heart attack, Mary. Hell, maybe that's what he deserves right now."

I don't know when she stopped screaming at me, or when she ran away in tears. I don't know when the nurse asked if I needed a drink, or when the doctor told me that Harper was stable for now. I don't know when Jasper turned up. I don't know how long he held my hand for. I don't know how long I was sat in the chair by Harper's bed, waiting for him to say something.

"Ross," Raven said gently, her hand on my shoulder.

I jumped slightly, and then said, "Hey, did you see Dad?"

"Yeah," she nodded, looking thoroughly exhausted. "They're going to keep him in for a few days, they want to inject this dye thing to make sure there aren't any new blockages."

Edward was sat next to me; I'd barely noticed he was here. His eyes were red, the skin around them swollen and puffy. He'd been crying, probably for at least an hour. "Are you alright?" I asked him, managing to speak for the first time since Jasper had arrived. He was asleep, curled up on the chair beside me.