Tears of the Fallen Ch. 19

Chapter Nineteen

 “Well that was unexpected.” Rhianna grinned up at Caleb, who returned her rapt gaze though there was a hint of thoughtfulness in his golden brown eyes.

 They were gathered downstairs in Andrei’s office at the Dive, the Romanov twins lounging on the sofa with speculative expressions on their faces.  Rhianna had told Caleb of the earlier altercation when he’d arrived to pick her up. He had immediately summoned the twins to the club and ordered Pietro to have someone tend the bar and meet them downstairs.

 Pietro wasn’t looking too happy at being scrutinised so closely, his body language tense and a deep scowl pulling at the scar on his cheek.

 “Yes, it is a very interesting development,” Caleb agreed, his gaze peering off into the distance for a moment as he considered the implications of what had happened.

 “If you’re going to discuss me don’t you think you should clue me in,” Pietro grumbled, his irritation ratcheting up a notch. He didn’t want to be the centre of attention and he especially didn’t like some of the glances Alexei was shooting in his direction. His friend was clearly unhappy with what had happened between him and his daughter. Pietro was sure Alexei would have something to say about that very soon.

 It came sooner than he anticipated though, as it was the blond vampire who answered him. “You’ve taken my daughter’s blood,” Alexei growled, an undefined emotion in his eyes. “There has been some speculation that Vârcolac blood could heal your scars, however that doesn’t appear to be the case.”

 “Alexei...” Pietro wasn’t quite sure what he was going to say to his friend, he just knew he would have to come up with something good. He was surprised when he was cut off.

 “That conversation is for another place and time.” Alexei’s tone held a note of finality that his friend was wise enough not to challenge. He was right anyway. They would have that conversation at a later date.

 Pietro turned back to Rhianna and Caleb, raising an eyebrow in query.

 “It would appear that while Vârcolac blood can’t heal your scars, it has significantly boosted your recovery time from the aftereffects of your ordeal,” Rhianna explained. “From that little display, I would hazard a guess that you’re back to full strength.”

 As her words sank in, Pietro replayed the fight, remembering the table where the vampire had landed. He’d thrown the other male clear across the room and with such force it had shattered the thick wood into splinters! No wonder the room had responded instantly when he had warned them.  Before Europe, he had been strong but now...he was stronger than he had once been.

 He had wondered at why he had felt so strong...if it could have had something to do with Cassia’s blood, but the realisation still stunned him. He could feel the raw power of his increased strength flowing through his veins. It made his heart pound hard and a feeling of dizziness assault him, but he dampened the weakness down, his beast preening at the enhanced abilities he now had.

 Cassia’s blood had not only nourished him, it had made him stronger. He was staggered at the knowledge and didn’t know what it could mean for him. He just knew that right now, he didn’t feel half the failure he once had. He would analyse what else he was feeling later.

 “I’m stronger.” It didn’t cross his mind to withhold the information. These were his oldest friends; this was his Queen and King. They had a right to know because it could help combat the threat from Europe.

 “Did Cassia bite you?”

 “Caleb!” Alexei’s growl was fierce.

 “I’m sorry, Alexei, we’re not trying to make this more difficult for you than it already is, but we need to know.” Annie’s expression was sympathetic as she reached across and placed a hand gently on the Ancient’s arm. “Caleb’s question is a good one though possibly could have been broached with a little more tact.”