Tears of the Fallen Ch. 10

Chapter Ten

 “Cass!”

 Loretta’s voice wafted across the compound, shaking the Vârcolac out of her thoughts as she headed towards the lab. It was early morning and most of the pack was still asleep; it was surprising to see her aunt up and around, especially since she was infamous for not being a morning person. Immediately, Cassia’s thoughts turned to Pietro. Was something wrong?

 “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you, honey. It’s just hard to get some time alone without Andrei being underfoot or you being buried nose-deep in a microscope. I wanted to have a private word with you about Pietro.”

 The older woman’s gaze was intent, watching every nuance that crossed her face. There wasn’t much that slipped past Loretta Simpson, and that was what made her such a good beta. Still, Cassia wasn’t about to give anything away if she could avoid it. If Loretta knew, then she would tell Andrei; and that, of course, meant her father would find out and she wasn’t quite ready for that. “I’m working as hard as I can on the antidote. So far, we’re still missing the vital element that makes it so toxic to vampires.” The narrowed eyes and raised eyebrow she got in response to her words wasn’t very comforting.

 “You know that’s not what I want to discuss, Cass.”

 “Loretta…” The beta may have been a few inches shorter than her, but she was a number of years older, and held a higher rank in the pack hierarchy. The fact that she was mated to her uncle made it near impossible to refuse the woman; she was used to ferretting out answers when she posed a question. Cassia knew she wasn’t going to be able to avoid the conversation, no matter how hard she tried.

 “He talks about you,” the other woman said in a quiet tone, her shrewd eyes merciless. “He never talks about anyone outside of those he’s known for years, and yet after only two meetings, your name has cropped up a few times. He’s connected with you and I find that very significant, Cassia.”

 “I’m working on the antidote. That’s important to Pietro, so it stands to reason he may mention me.”

 There was a long pause and then Loretta let out a deep sigh. “Come with me.” She headed into the trees, leaving the Vârcolac no option but to follow her.

 There was no point in procrastinating, so Cassia did as was expected, wishing she could avoid the impending conversation. She found her aunt in a small clearing that was far enough away from the compound to offer some privacy, but not within hearing range of the boundary protection detail that still circled pack lands.

 “Cass, I know what it’s like to be attracted to someone you think may not cause a favourable response from those you love.” It was the Vârcolac’s turn to raise an eyebrow and Loretta smiled. “Okay, in my case I may have been putting that a bit mildly. The essence is the same though, honey. Both your mother and I had hurdles to overcome when we found our mates. I know you’ve heard the stories a hundred times, so I can understand why you don’t want to talk about whatever this thing is between you and Pietro.”

 There was such sincerity in Loretta’s voice, her eyes full of such understanding, that Cassia felt ashamed of her hesitancy. Everything her aunt said rang true.  Deep down inside, she knew that both Loretta and her mother would understand and support her decision unconditionally, but her wolf’s indecisiveness was confusing the hell out of her. When she was with Pietro, the animal claimed him. When they were apart, it ignored him as if he didn’t exist. She couldn’t work out what was going on and she couldn’t claim him publicly until she knew for certain.

 “I appreciate your concern, Loretta, I really do; but at the moment, there is nothing to discuss.  If the situation were to change, I realise I have you and Mom I can turn to for advice. I know I have your love and support. Frankly, I’m happy that Pietro is starting to make more connections. He needs that to help him heal. I’m not so sure I am his saviour, though, not in the way you hope.”