Tears of the Fallen Ch. 16

Chapter Sixteen

Liam hovered impatiently outside his cousin’s house, waiting for Elina and Reasa to pack some clothes. He’d deliberately chosen not to go in. He didn’t want to give Reasa an opportunity to call him to task for kissing her. The memory of their first kiss blew his mind. It had been so much more than he had ever dreamed imaginable. It was the single most perfect moment of his life and he didn’t want anything to take that away, especially not his mate glowering furiously at him. No, Liam was happy to put of the inevitable for as long as possible so he could savour that magical moment. If that was a tad cowardly, he could live with it.

The sound of booted feet on the hard packed earth had him turning his head towards the pack’s large meeting circle. The wolves defending the outer boundaries were changing shift, the morning detail already out among the trees. Tired men trundled into the compound, some of them waving in his direction as they scurried home to get some much-needed sleep after a long night.

Liam waved back, feeling excitement as well as some trepidation about what they were about to attempt. They were going into uncharted territory with the wounded vampires at the Praetorian Compound. They had no idea if dream walking in their minds would be a help or a hindrance, but they had to at least try. If nothing was done there really was only one outcome for the vampires, and Liam just couldn’t bear to think about that consequence.

“We’re ready,” Elina said behind him, and he turned back around to smile at his cousin and set eyes on his mate for the first time since they’d kissed.

How did she manage to look more beautiful with each passing day? The sun caressed Reasa’s bronzed skin, making him feel jealous that it wasn’t his fingers tracing each perfect feature, that it wasn’t his lips tasting the satin smoothness of her cheeks. She’d tied her raven hair back in a short ponytail, the hairstyle not only making her cheekbones more pronounced, but also highlighting the gentle curve of her jawline.

She was glorious, and she belonged to him. He ached for the day that her shuttered green eyes finally looked at him, and she realised that he belonged to her as much as she did to him. It would happen. It had to happen. He just needed to be patient until she was ready to accept him. For now, her expression was neutral as she regarded him, her only acknowledgement a slight inclination of her head. At least she wasn’t spitting at him as he’d expected.

 “Is everything set?” Rafe joined them, his sons Ben and AJ at his side.

 Both men had their father’s tall frame, though Aaron junior’s build was more athletic and his colouring favoured his mother. His wavy, platinum blond hair was shorter than most of the male pack members, but it retained the unkempt look that was common among wolf shifters. He also sported a few days growth that further emphasised his wildness. His smile though was dazzling and took some of the edge off his appearance.

 Ben was his father’s double in just about all ways. He was as big and wide as the Alpha, and had the exact same colouring of dark brown unruly hair and deep brown eyes. The only thing he appeared to have taken from his mother’s side was his nose. It was unusually long and elegant for so brawny a male. He, too, had a killer smile, and like his brother, was quick to display it. Both men smiled at them but didn’t speak.

 “We’re all packed and ready to go,” Liam answered, turning as Dayton followed the girls outside.

 “Don’t you need this?” The Beta held the book on dream walking in his hands, a half smile gracing his face when Reasa tutted under her breath.

 “My apologies, I forgot to pick it up.” She held out her arms for the book.

 “I’ll ride up with them,” Dayton said to Rafe, his Alpha nodding his agreement.