12. Wendy

"I'm going for a walk," Beam said.

Honoo looked up excitedly. "COOL! Can I come?"

"Sure, I'd enjoy your company."

The two girls went off into the meadow, then slowly made their way into the forest. Honoo suddenly stopped in her tracks.

"Hey, who's that?" she said, tilting her head to the side at something up ahead.

"HI!"

Beam looked up with a start to see a white and blue fluffy pokemon smiling sweetly at them.

"Who are you?" Honoo asked suspiciously.

"I'm Wendy!" she giggled.

"Um," Honoo said uneasily. "WHAT are you?"

"Why I'm a pachirisu, of course! What are YOU?" Wendy said, sounding slightly weirded out but keeping her squeakiness and her smile.

"A flareon," Honoo said, a hint of annoyance in her voice. "Now, unless you get out of our territory this instant I have e right to chase you away!"

"Okay," Wendy said in a strangely aggressive squeal. "But the world would be a WAY better place if we would all just share!"

Honoo was out of patience. She snarled. "AWAY!"

"Um. Okay. Goodbye." Wendy scurried off.

"Honoo!" Beam yelled. "There was no need to be so mean to the poor kid!"

"She was an intruder! It was my duty!"

"Well, that's still no excuse to be rude."

"Beam, you're way too soft," Honoo whined. "There's a reason you're a strategist and not a defender."

"I am a strategist solely by choice," Beam said levelly. "It is not at all a bad thing."

Honoo scrambled for words. "Whatever!" she finally said, exasperated. "Let's just get back home. Louie will worry if we don't." She took a few steps back in the direction they had came.

Beam sighed. "How can my own sister be so different to me?"

Honoo's head snapped around. "What?"

"Oh, nothing. Let's just go back."

Many, many moons later somewhere far away...

"Hey, who are you?" squeaked a bubbly pachirisu.

"Erm, I'm Rail, that's Hikari, Hotaru and Ripple. And you are...?"

"It's Wendy! Pleased to meet you, Rail! And you three! I hope we can be friends!"