Chapter 11: In the Nick of Time?

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

The Revolution

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

The Revolution

Chapter 11: In the Nick of Time?

I don't know how long I was out there for but it feels like hours before I return to check on Rachel and Gene.

Oh my fucking god.

I must be hallucinating. Erin was dead there's no way he can be sitting up; breathing and blinking.

"What the hell did I miss?" I ask and all their eyes turn on me including Cynthia who is standing by Erin's side looking as confused as I feel.

"We don't know," Rachel replies.

"So this is all real? I'm not hallucinating?" I ask.

"It's real," Erin looks shocked as his hands trace over the wound which isn't there anymore.

"Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think they got Miles, Jake and Grey."

"You don't know for sure?" Rachel asks.

"Well I didn't see them get taken--"

"How about we deal with one crisis at a time; if Miles got caught he probably has a plan. He always has a plan," Gene says.

"So what? We wait until morning and see what happens?" I ask outraged.

"Yes," Gene replies.

I could always track them down myself, but if the numbers of their group are as vast as Miles has us to believe then there's no way I'm getting out alive; let alone freeing Miles, Jake and Grey. I hope to god Miles keeps Jake safe and doesn't let anything happen to him.

When I wake after my two minutes of sleep the town is buzzing with news of Grey's head being found on a stick, and we're all being forced into the heart of the city; what used to be the library is now home for those who don't have homes. They want to keep us together until the rangers arrive in town and save us.

I couldn't sleep; not even a wink but thankfully Rachel is trying to rally people to go save Miles and Jake. She told me the plan and knew she didn't need to ask me. I won't leave them there to die. If anyone's going to kill Miles; it's going to be me.

"Is it just us?" I ask as Rachel arrives at stables. I've already finished saddling Prancer and have Rachel's gear grouped and waiting near a bay coloured horse. The stars are already in the sky meaning me need to move our asses.

"Unfortunately," Rachel replies before she quickly gets to work. She is just about to finish up when her father approaches.

"We've got nothing to say to each other."

"I agree," Gene replies before the small group of men arrive behind him and move onto the free horses waiting to be saddled.

It looks like we won't be on our own after all. I hold in the sigh of relief and even Gene joins us although I'm not so sure that's a good idea. The town needs him; if he gets hurt or worse . . .

It doesn't take us long to find their hideout and Rachel is first to enter with the rest of us close on her tail. We had a slight hiccup along the way when we realised the ground was covered in something; it turned out to be dead rats.

It's not good but I have to push it from my mind and focus on getting Miles, Grey and Jake back; it's all that matters.

We enter through a grate and I see Miles hooked up to some kind of homemade machine; taking his blood and pumping it into a sleeping woman who looks pale and near death . . . An old school blood transfusion.