Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

There were a lot of doors on the second floor. I think I counted about six doors, just going this way. When I reached the second floor landing, there were two hallways, each leading to another part of the house. I chose the right side, not knowing completely why, but I was drawn into going this way. It seemed like more things were happening this way than the other way. 

     All the doors were closed, except the bathroom door. I didn’t know if any of the closed doors were occupied, and I would hate to stumble upon a stranger. Plus, what if I found Jake’s bedroom? That’s going to be a disturbing sight. 

     Dragging my bags along with me, I chose the last door. I liked this room was because of how far it was from the bathroom. There was a pro and con to having a room by the bathroom. The pro being that I’d have easy access to it; the con being that I was a light sleeper and the sound of a toilet flushing will make me up instantly.

     There was no one inside the room when I opened the door, and I was glad for that. I picked this room because it was the farthest room back. I prefer to be within a greater distance from the front of the house. That’s where Jake will mostly like spend most of his time, so I have no interest being near him.

     The room was ginormous. It was nowhere near the size of my room back at home. The bedroom was full of warm and natural colors. The walls were a cream-ish beige color and the floor was hardwood, a pale brown shade. The room was spatial,  but with all the decorations, it made the room seem almost perfect. There were a few shelves around the walls, occupied with picture frames. They weren’t used ones, but ones that were just waiting to be used. The frames had words underneath them. Mostly baby sayings and family. This must be where Jake stores unwanted picture frames. 

     There was a huge bed right in the middle of the room. There were tables on both sides of the bed. A little night lamp was on the right side table. As well as books. From the doorway, they looked like shopping catalogs. To the left of the bed, there was a huge window that overlooked the backyard. The view was amazing, especially since I could see almost everything that was in the yard. 

      For example, a pool. There was one benefit of being here, unlimited opportunities to go swimming.

     I gasped when I saw the walk-in closet and extension bathroom. Never have I ever been able to walk into my closet or move right from the bed to the bathroom. I dropped the bags inside the closet. The closet was definitely big enough to hold twice the things I brought with me.

     This was definitely my new room. To insure my choice, I began to hang up my new clothes. It was a relief that most of these came with their own hangers because there was none in this room. 

      “What are you doing in here?”

     The voice startled me. I dropped what I was doing and walked out of the closest. Jake was standing in the doorway, looking as if a ghost startled him. He looked completely different than the Jake I saw him look like early. That pregnancy test I threw at him must of hit him hard. Or he might not have ever thought he could be the father of a child. Plus, my words to him must have been taken to literal. “Claiming my room.”

     “You can’t pick this room.”

     “Why?” I asked, with attitude.

     “It’s . . . you just can’t have this room.”

     “Seriously? First, you deny me the privilege to have a room in the first place and now you won’t let me keep the room I chose. What else are you going to do? Tell me I have a toilet schedule to follow and I can’t use the toilet unless you give me permission?”