Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

It was around ten o’clock at night by the time I finally reached Jake’s house. Since there was a three hour time difference between California and New York, it was only seven o’clock my time. This is pretty early for me. I didn’t want to spend all night in New York because then I might never find my way back to Jake’s house. This might not even be Jake’s house for all I know. My parents could have given me the wrong address.

     I gave the cab driver the amount of money I owed, feeling good to pay with my own money. It felt nice to have money with me. Being lost in the city made it so I got to go out and buy clothes. I’ve never seen so many stores before and I used that to my advantage. Jake wants to judge me, then he can. But if he does, it’ll be wearing things that make me feel like my normal self. I refuse to be stereotyped just because I have black hair and wear dark makeup. 

     If I remember correctly, even Jake mentioned on the train about a new wardrobe. His exact words: New personality, new attitude, new wardrobe, new life.

     All but one of them is what I plan on accomplishing. My personality is not going to ever change. The way I show it will differ though. I can try to be less aggressive on the outside, but on the inside fumes will be very evident. New attitude? Check.

     New wardrobe? Check. With a mixture of my old.

     New life? Check. Because now I have to pretend to be wanted by someone that doesn’t give a crap about me.

     From the outside, Jake’s house was beautiful. I almost went back into the taxi to make sure he got the house address right. This was not what I was expecting his house to look like. It wasn’t as big as a mansion, but it was a huge house still. It looked new, but had a classic vibe to it. If I had to imagine what I thought Jake would live in, this is nowhere close. Then again, I don’t know Jake as well as I thought I did.

     I used the driveway to walk up to the house. There wasn’t a walk path that led straight to the front door. Getting to the garage, on the side there was a little stone pathway to the front door. Jake’s whole house looked environmentally friendly, from a little garden around his front porch and hundreds of trees lined around the back. 

     The house looked like it could be two stories, maybe three if there is a basement. The paneling on the house was tan and stucco plaster, but then near the second floor, it changed to a more normal subtle brown brick. The windows were huge, each not covered by any blinds. It was very bright inside his house, since the moon was directly in front of his house.

     The moon shone brightly through the front window. This looked a lot like Jake’s house. The clothes he had been wearing today were all over the floor. He wasn’t lying before when he said his room/house is messy. Walking up the stairs to his porch, I didn’t know whether I should just sit and wait for him to get up in the morning to notice me, or ring the doorbell. I am not in the mood to be confronted by him. He has already proven that he is not worth my time and feelings. We are just going to get this over with so we can go back to our old lives, like nothing ever happened.

     Maybe there was a spare key laying around somewhere. Most people hide spare keys, just in case they get locked out. Jake might do the same thing. I dropped my ten bags, and began my search.

     Jake doesn’t seem like the one to put something in the most secretive place. If anything, it’d be the most obvious. Which is why my first thought would be he’d put it underneath the welcome rug. Imagine my shock when I found the spare key exactly where I thought it’d be. There was none. Jake was seriously an idiot. If I had been a burglar and decided to look for the key right there, I would steal everything just for the fact that the owner is stupid.