No Matter What

Chapter 8

I stayed with Derek all night, he didn't want me there but he kept shaking and it worried me, I've never seen him like that so I stubbornly stayed. 

He sat on the edge of his bed and had his head in his hands, I crouched down in front of him. "Headache?"  I question.

   He doesn't reply, I cup his head and lightly comb my hands through his dark hair trying to relax him, he moved his hands from his head and placed them on either of my sides his nails slightly digging into my skin as he fought to control his emotions. I press my lips to his forehead lightly. "Try to sleep. It'll be okay." I whisper. He didn't say anything, I try again, "I love you." I mutter, he again doesn't say anything and that breaks my heart.

                = 

   He didn't stop shaking until I pulled him next to me. I hated seeing him like that, and there was nothing I could do to help him.

When I woke up I found the bed was empty. No note, no text to explain, he was just gone.  Cora didn't say much when she woke up there was nothing to say. She was hurt because a member of her pack was gone and so now was her brother. 

I found some of the spare clothes that I left here and I quickly dressed in a light gray t-shirt that had three small buttons down the front and maroon pants and pulled on my brown combat boots and tied my hair in a high pony tail.

I texted Stiles to let him know Derek was gone and after that he came over and asked Cora and I if she had any idea where Derek was, we both replied no, but she told us the story of when Peter and Derek were younger and what they were taught to do when they were in trouble, and this story included a time when they actually like each other and what happened to them when the hunters found them.

"They were there for two days. Waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us. 'Hide and heal'" Cora had her back to us looking out the window. Watching the rain pour adding to our somber mood, I was pacing for a minute I was worried, he just took off.

"Okay so is two days like standard then? Or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" Stiles questions not really caring about the pissed of glare I give him.

Cora turned to face us. "Why do you care?" She snaps at Stiles, I slow my pacing.

"Why do I care? Let's see because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by Alphas. You want me to keep going? Cause I can, all right? For like an hour." Stiles counters.

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" Cora asks.  

I move to the couch and hug my knees trying to think of anywhere Derek could be. My stomach was getting sick with worry.

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it. Yeah." Stiles replies.

"I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him."

I tilt my head to look at Cora. "What was he like?" I question breaking up their conversation. I only saw glimpses of what I thought Derek might have been like when he was younger and that was only when we were alone and know one was trying to kills us.

We all turn our heads when we hear Peter coming down the stairs looking at me he says. "A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic...Tolerable really only to other teenagers." Peter interjects while walking down the stairs and coming behind the desk.