Chapter 35

A/N: So, here is the big chapter! I’m sorry it switches point of views back and forth, but it is kind of necessary. Only the epilogue left after this! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it :)

Chapter 35

Declan’s POV

I dial Arianna’s number for what must be the fiftieth time and once again it goes straight to her voicemail. Her phone must be turned off, but I continue to try because I’m desperate to get a hold of her. After talking to Jennifer, I got in the car and started driving back to the cabin. I have a bad feeling about Arianna being alone there with her mother. The one thought that pounds repeatedly in my head as I speed down the road is that I’m going to be too late.

Arianna’s POV

After waking up to find Declan gone, my mother and I spent the day together. I have no clue where Declan is, but I assume he has a good reason for leaving. I’m not mad that he left because it is actually nice spending some time with my mom. We cleaned up a bit around the cabin and went through some of our old things, laughing at the memories that they brought up.

Eventually my mom gets tired of this and asks if I want to go on a walk with her. I agree and she leads me back to the docks where Declan and I went to the day before. When my mom sees the canoe excitement lights up her face.

“I can’t believe that this is still here!” she grins, leaning closer to inspect the state it is in. “It doesn’t even look that bad! We should try it out.”

She positions the canoe as if she is going to climb inside of it, but I hesitantly grab her arm. I’m not sure if that is the safest thing to do and I seriously don’t want to go out on that murky water. It is scary enough from the dock.

“Oh, come on! It will be fun. Please, Arianna,” my mother begs and then climbs inside. I stare at the old canoe doubtfully, but carefully step into it anyway. I can’t make my mom go on her own, I guess.

I take a seat in the canoe, hoping that the rocking will stop. My mom takes both of the paddles and slides them into the dark water. I quickly untie the thin rope that attaches it to the dock and my mom begins to move the paddles through the water in gentle strokes. I hold on tightly to the sides of the canoe, feeling nauseous. I never liked canoes or boats, which is just another reason I should not have let my mom convince me to do this. I’m actually really surprised that she wanted to in the first place. I mean, last I checked she was never really into the whole nature thing.

The sun begins to set, casting a dark shadow over us. The further away from the dock we travel, the more anxious I become.

“Relax, Arianna. We will head back in a little while. Just enjoy it,” my mother says.

I try to listen to her and I close my eyes, hoping that it will help. I hear a little splash and realize that my mother dropped one of the paddles into the water. It will be really hard to get back to the dock without two paddles and so I immediately stand up to try to get it before it drifts too far away. As I’m bending over the side of the canoe, I feel my mother come up behind me. I’m assuming she is going to help, but I’ve never been so wrong about anything.

“I’m sorry, Arianna,” is the last thing I hear before an excruciating pain comes from the back of my head.

I black out for a moment and tumble over the side of the canoe. I can feel my body sinking into the depths of the dark water faster than I thought possible. My head is spinning and I gasp in a mouthful of water. The realization that if I don’t fight back against the water dragging me down then I am going to die hits me suddenly. I push aside thoughts of my aching head and do my best to swim upwards. Making it to the surface is one of the most difficult things I have done my entire life. The whole time I am swimming, I’m trying not to slip into unconsciousness. I know that if I give in then it is the end for me.