10 Sanctuary

"Are they up yet?"

"Not yet, Crow. Give them time."

Crow frowned and sighed. Martha didn't say anything and resumed cooking. She had temporarily moved in with the boys, just to keep an eye on Yusei. This was her worst nightmare: A traumatized Yusei who never spoke except for a few one word sentences, two or three if they were lucky, and would have a major breakdown if certain words were said. It broke her heart, but she never showed. They knew she was heartbroken, but didn't say anything.

"Hey guys."

Crow watched as Aki, Leo and Luna walked in. Aki looked horrible. Her hair was a mess and she had dark rings under her eyes. This was taking a heavy toll on her. Crow gulped at the thought of her snapping under the pressure at some point. "Nightmares?"

She nodded.

"Want to talk about it?" Martha asked.

Aki shook her head. "No...I'm not in the mood..."

"Is Yusei up? I have something for him." Ruka asked.

"Yeah... So am I."

Aki nearly shrieked and smacked Jack across the face, the sound resonating throughout the room. Everyone gasped loudly. Aki then saw why they gasped and looked horrified.

Yusei had those wide eyes and stared at her in fear. Jack rubbed his cheek and glared at Aki before turning his attention to the teen. "Yusei, calm down." he said sternly.

He didn't listen.

Yusei snarled and lashed out at the red-head, managing to scratch her cheek once again before Jack restrained him. "YUSEI! I SAID CALM DOWN!" he boomed, watching as Yusei calmed down and cling to him once more. He smiled. "Good, Yusei. No lashing out at others, ok?"

"...sorry..." the teen muttered in a voice so quiet, only Jack could hear. Martha tended to Aki's wound as the girl teared up. This was the second time Yusei lashed out at her like this. Did he hate her now? 'Y-Yusei...'

"Try and get him to eat again. We need to at least fatten him up!" Crow remarked.

"Yeah! I don't like seeing Yusei this bone-y..." Rua added. Ruka placed her backpack on the table and got out a Kuribon plush. She had the idea that maybe a doll could help Yusei a bit. "Jack, see if Yusei wants this. He can have it if he likes it. I have four of them." Jack took the doll from her and examined it. It looked like the real deal.

"Yusei, sit at the table." he whispered gently to Yusei. The male stared at him with those blank eyes and moved to sit at the table, staring at nothing. Jack sat next to him and put the dill in front of Yusei. "Here. Ruka brought this for you. If you want it, you can have it."

The Signer's attention then turned to the doll. All breaths were held as Yusei stared at the Kuribon plush. Yusei glanced at Jack, who smiled calmly. He motioned to him that it was ok. Ever so slowly, Yusei reached for the doll. Without warning he snagged it at an unusual speed and held it close. The fur was so soft, and he started playing with the ribbon on the tail. Everyone smiled and let their breaths out.

"So cute!" Martha said. Aki nodded in agreement. Same for Crow.

The twins cheered silently. "Success!"

"Do you like it?" asked Jack as he watched Yusei play with the plush. Yusei let out a quiet 'Mmhm' as he hugged it. His stomach growled, but he didn't react. Martha chuckled and brought over a plate of bacon and eggs: simple and sweet.

"Here, sweetie. You must be starving!"

Yusei flinched, clinging to Jack once more. The plush lay on his lap now. Jack whispered something to him, making Yusei slowly let go of him. He just stared at the food before him.