Forever Together (Part 17)

It's been weird for me these couple of days. I can't go anywhere without covering my whole body and face from the paparazzi. They even tried to stalk me where I lived! It's a good thing, James hired some bodyguards to stop any sneaky reporter who would try to get past the lobby in my apartment building. The press seemed genuinely surprised that Chan Teng chose me to be James's "lover" over Chelsie, his mother hasn't made an announcement yet but rumors are spreading. I've heard from Chelsie a few days ago that she and Jack have reconciled. That's good for them! James and I haven't met face to face yet since that day in the CEO's office, but I do get messages from him every night about work. I've been living in a fantasy these past weeks.

"Shoot, I don't have any eggs," I tell myself after closing the frigerator's door. I need to buy eggs! I grab my apartment keys off the kitchen counter and put on some shoes. The thought of running into the paparazzi on the lobby floor made me nervous. Don't worry, I think inside my head, at least there are bodyguards below doing their job. I stand up from tying my shoe laces on my sneakers just as the door bell rang. What? Who could it be? It better not be a reporter or I swear I'll--- I swing open the door and come face to face with my mother. I don't remember her calling about a visit..... "Morning Li, how are you?" I stare at my mother who stands in the doorway with a gentle smile wearing a light-colored dress with white shoes. "I'm....fine. Come in." I say and swing open the door wider for her to come in. "You seem nervous," my mother says with a laugh and follows me into the kitchen. Li Hua opens a cabinet door and takes out a tea bag. "That's because you referred to me as Li, the only time you ever call me by the family's last name is if only I'm in trouble."

Li Hua pours the tea kettle over a teacup and flashes me a smile. "I only use that name for serious events. I have come to your place to discuss about you and James Chan." Oh no......is she going to go against me for loving him, even though I was suppose to stay away from him in public?!? Li Hua sips her tea and comes closer to me. "I was very surprise from your outburst in the CEO office that day......I had no idea you would cause such problems for me." "Look, I'm sorry mother--" "I'm not finished." My mother looks straight into my eyes, as if she was trying to find anymore hidden secrets inside of me. "I admire your courage, Abelle. I have begun to understand why you would object marrying Jack Ting, was it because you had loved James Chan all along?" I feel my heart freeze up inside. Why am I so nervous all of a sudden?!? AND IN FRONT OF MY OWN MOTHER TOO! "I would have objected you marrying anyone else if they were part of your career, but this actually makes sense! James Chan is the son of a CEO who has an extraordinary amount of fame and wealth! I would never have imagined him to be interested in you.....but your relationships with him were always friendly and full of passion when you and him were younger. Now, you can have a splendid marriage with James without worrying about money or love issues!"

"MOTHER! You make it sound like as if James and I are starting to get married, which we are not!" I blurt out. My mother takes another sip of her tea and whispers something in my ear, "I approve of this relationship and marriage with James Chan, but Chan Teng does not. I know that deep down in her heart, she hates every bit of it. You should be careful with your actions in the future." Maybe mother is right, although James assured me the night he called me to let me know that everything had gone smoothly with Chan Teng, maybe Chan Teng still hates me. I know that Jina will. "Then why would James tell me that everything is alright?"

Li Hua sighs and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "He doesn't know it, but I do. Chan Teng and I have been friends for more than 30 years, if you don't count the years we made no eye contact at all, but I know that woman. She is a sly and a very assertive woman, but she wants the best for her son. Rumors are already spreading that yo and James are engaged! She doesn't deny the rumors in public. She was very stern in our friendship during college years, but deep down inside we loved each other," Li Hua tells me with chuckle, "You have to understand Abelle that I don't hate Chan Teng as a person, no. I find her to be very admirable! But her actions are something that needs to be reconsidered. Remember what I've said here my dear."