Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

                I pulled away and stood up.

                “What was that?!” I asked angrily. He smiled and shook his head. I looked around the room for my bag. As soon as my eyes landed on it, I grabbed it and stormed out of the room.

                “Wait. Where are you going?” He asked following me. I rolled my eyes and ran outside.

                “I don’t think staying here will do any good,” I said harshly, “I’ll find another way to Paris.” I turned and walked back down the dirt road. I pulled out my phone. Seven o’clock. Kael was still right on my heels.

                “Okay, I’m guessing that upset you,” I turned and glared at him, “Obviously. Okay, but how do you know you’ll find another way? It’s late, plus no one in this town ever goes that way.” He grabbed my arm. I turned and studied the look on his face.

                “You’re lying.” I stated, and pulled my arm away. As I said that, a small pick-up truck passed, heading in the direction I needed to go. I waved it down. The old man in the driver’s seat pulled over and raised his eyebrows at me.

                “Is there a problem Miss?” He eyed Kael. I nodded.

                “I need a ride into Paris. Are you heading that way?” I asked. Hoping the answer would help me out. The old man smiled.

                “Yes Miss, it’s your lucky day. I am. I’m picking my son up from the airport there tomorrow.” He reached over and pushed open his door. Kael just shook his head. I glared at him and hopped into the truck, “What about your friend there?” He asked as I slammed the door.

                “He’s not coming.” I said.

                “Genevieve won’t be very happy!” Kael yelled. His voice barely made it through the car. The old man stepped on the gas. I flew around in my seat and watched him through the back window, my eyes wide. What does he know about Genevieve? There was smirk across his face as he disappeared.

                “This is where we part.” Curtis, the old man, said as he pulled up across the street from the Eiffel tower.

                “Thank you so much! Have a nice time seeing your son again!” I smiled and stepped out of the truck. We talked about his family and all about his farm for the two hours into the city. I was glad to have met him. He certainly made me smile.

                I crossed the street quickly and waved as I watched him drive away. I turned and looked up at the tower. It was so big, and amazing. Its lights shone just as bright as before. I looked around at all the crowds of people. It was only about nine thirty, so finding Van would be a lot harder than I originally thought. I walked close to the trees, hoping to see him.

                The crowds were crazy. I said excuse me probably every three seconds. I made my way to the middle of the park without any signs what-so-ever of Van. I pulled away from the mush of people and leaned against the fence and the base of the tower.

                This was all impossible. I should have stayed at Old Rose. Surely Nero might have come back? No, I doubt it. This was my best bet.

                “Heading somewhere?” A man standing a few feet away asked. I glanced at him through the corner of my eye. He had a beanie on, and his upper lip held a mustache.