Chapter One

Chapter One:

              The heavy metal main doors to Old Rose Academy stood like giants in front of me, Leda Morgana Jean. I stared intently at the reflection in the glass. I looked like any normal human. My wide aqua green eyes, long dark chocolate hair, and long legs looked normal, but out of place.

                I sighed and pushed the door open as hard as I could. It creaked, but was muffled by all the busy chatter of the students inside. I was very out of place, even though I'd been here my whole life. Old Rose was my only home and I’d known no other family beside the faculty and staff, who all claimed my parents left me. I had watched year after year as new students would walk through the corridors, waiting for my turn to learn the lessons. It had been years since my very first official day of school, but I was still just as ordinary as before.

                Most every student that walked through the corridors of Old Rose became a full creature of light, belonging to the Chosen. I watched each one of my friends discover their wings, and fly for their first time, only to never see a single sign of growing myself. There wasn’t anything I was doing differently, and the average human wasn’t even allowed near the grounds. I had to be Chosen. Most would tell me that I was a late bloomer; that my wings would show soon. It had been five years. It wasn’t happening.

                I stared at each student that I passed. All the full creatures seemed to glow. Their skin and hair shining brightly, they were beautiful. I looked out the window to see a few guys messing around, their wings iridescent in the sun, as they chased each other through the sky.

                I had watched millions of students let go of their wings, but each time it got to me. The feathers themselves seemed to sparkle. I wanted them. I carefully touched the spot along my shoulder blades as I have done so many times, just hoping, that just maybe I’d feel the familiar bump of a feather. There was nothing. Just the usual bone.

                “Watch where you walk, Leda.” A small boy said loudly in my ear, catching me off guard.

                "I'm sorry, what?” I looked questioningly at the boy.

                “You almost ran into me. Watch where you walk.” He turned and practically ran down the hall. I shook my head, and ran my hand through my hair. Even that boy had his wings.

                I turned and walked through a tall archway leading to the gardens. The sky was a very bright blue, and the flowers seemed to glow. I quickly ran down a large set of stairs and turned into the maze which surrounded most of the school; I knew the whole maze like the back of my hand. Living under the roof of Old Rose for seventeen years got boring quickly. I began find most solace with being outside, away from the world.

                Reaching my destination, I quickly sat in the middle of a small stone bench, dropping my bag to the ground by my feet. It was quiet among the walls of branches and leaves. The only sound was my breathing, and the few chirps of birds. I sighed, and looked up at the sky. Lessons had just gotten out for the rest of the week. I felt drained with all the history and defense skills that had been cramming my head. I was ready to just let it all go, and sleep for a year.

                The sun began to slowly warm my arms and cheeks. I smiled feeling pure pleasure for the warmth after being in the drafty school. I was happy to be in paradise, until my iPhone just had to  buzz in my back pocket. I groaned and pulled it out slowly.

                “What?” I said loudly into the phone. A frantic high pitched voice filled the other end, causing me to hold the phone away from my ear, “Crysaine. I think you’ll be okay, Professor Gailey has a whole week to grade it, I’m sure he’s just putting it off for last.” Crysaine had been my roommate since both of our very first day. I could still remember how excited I felt when I first learned that I wouldn’t be in my huge room alone.