Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

                “Only a few more moments to wait, Miss Leda,” A woman with a pile of grey hair on her head says, “Be patient.” She urges me to sit, I do slowly. She smiles and quickly disappears behind a silver curtain. I carefully look around the room. Everything seems so bright. I squint just to see in front of me.

                I turn, sensing the presence of someone else in the room.

                “Nero, you know you aren’t supposed to be here.” I say. He nods, and walks over to me.

                “I know. Don’t worry; I’ll be in the crowd. Just look for me. But Leda you need to remember something,” He takes a deep breath. I reach out to grab his hand.

                “I kn--,” I began to say as my name is called from behind the curtain. The woman comes back, rushing over to grab hold of my hand. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Nero lift a hood over his head.

                “It’s time! Come with me.” She pulls me to my feet. I turn to Nero one last time.

                “Just promise me you won’t forget.” He says, as he grabs my arm. The woman groans and rushes back onto stage without me, “Promise me, Leda.”

                “I promise. I will never forget as long as my soul clings to life.” As I finish my words, Nero pulls me close and kisses me softly. I feel the hint of sorrow in his kiss. Something tugs at my soul warning of danger. Pulling away his face is full of sadness.

The woman returns and pulls me hard to the stage. I reach for him, but only farther I get. I watch his hood fall, and a tear roll down his cheek just as the curtain closes. I turn toward the loud cheers of the crowd now in front of me.

                I smile, but I only want to go back to comfort Nero. The cause of his sorrow is unknown to me. As I am pulled to center stage I search for his face among the millions. I feel the strong pat on my back from the Leader. I don’t look at Him, my eyes search the crowd. He is gives His speech, but no words enter my head.

                I look away for a second to smile at Him and say a few words of thanks, but nothing connects with my mind. The feeling of sorrow Nero gave is hooked hard.

                A scream slowly enters my ears. I tear my eyes from the crowd to see the Enemy descending to toward me.

                He grabs me from behind and lifts me a foot off the ground. I scream, in confusion. The crowd is in hysterics. The woman and the Leader both scramble to reach for me. I squirm in His arms, but it only causes the grip to be tighter. Terror fills my bones.

                I lock eyes with Nero’s, his face full of pain, just as I feel heat rush of pain through my head and down my body.

                I gasped. My eyes flew open. My heart was pounding in my chest. I sat up slowly and stared around the room. It was quiet. Four white walls and a beeping machine tied to my arm. I let out a sigh of relief. I was in Old Rose. I was safe.

                I rubbed my forehead, trying to escape that pain. It felt so real, I even reached to touch the side of my head to make sure I wasn’t hurt. Where did that dream come from? The last thing I could remember was saying goodbye to Nero after meeting Van.  I stared down at the white sheets around me, trying to make sense of everything.