chapter ten.

chapter ten.

Gracie and Davey roamed around the streets of Manhattan, Gracie looking in every single direction.

She still hadn't found Liv, and the day was passing by quicker than she'd hoped. She and Davey had been out for three hours, yet there wasn't so much as a clue as to where Liv may have gone. Gracie was getting scared. Manhattan was already dangerous enough during the day, she didn't even want to know how it was at night.

"I'm such an idiot," Gracie muttered. She didn't know if Davey had heard her or not, but she didn't care.

The sound of Davey's voice speaking up told her that he had, in fact, heard her. "You're not an idiot."

"Yes, I am. I shouldn't have left her alone for so long, this was bound to happen. And now, she's lost and we can't find her!" Gracie was on the verge of having a breakdown.

Davey put his hand on Gracie's shoulder. "Hey. Hey. Look at me. You're not an idiot. We're gonna find her."

Gracie took in deep breaths. She nodded, staring at the ground.

"You okay?" Davey asked gently.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Hey, where's Les?" Gracie randomly changed the subject.

"I told him to go back to the Lodgin' House," Davey said, shrugging. "Lord knows if he actually did it."

"He probably didn't," Gracie muttered. Davey quickly agreed and they laughed.

"What about me?" Someone asked from behind. Davey jumped.

Les was right behind them. "Where the hell did you come from?" Davey exclaimed.

"Well, you see, when a mommy and daddy lo-"

"You're too young, for the love of the God that we don't believe in, don't make those jokes," Davey shrieked. His voice cracked on the last word, causing Gracie to burst into laughter.

True, she was terrified of what Les might do with the knowledge that she was a girl, but she just tried to laugh away the fear. She tried to shove her feelings deep down. She always covered up her emotions anyways: this wasn't any different.

Les's eyes traveled over to Gracie. "Who's this? Your girlfriend? And why does she look an awful lot like Grayson?" He spit out three questions at once.

Gracie's heart pounded. What was she supposed to say? Should she trust Les? Gracie turned to Davey for help. She and him made eye contact, and he gave her a nod, as if to say "Don't worry."

"Les, this is Gracie Matthews. No, she ain't my girlfriend."

"Matthews? So, are ya related to Grayson Matthews or somethin'?" Les asked.

"Actually, that's the thing. She is Grayson."

Gracie expected shock, or for Les to just be confused. Instead he said, "Oh, so that's why you looked an awful lot like a girl," He said, looking Gracie up and down.

"Yeah," she smiled.

"Hey, but Les? You can't tell. Okay?"