Step Three

Step Three

I fidgeted with my fingers as my parents stared at me. I could feel their concern looks boring into my skull, but I couldn't meet their eyes. I was ashamed of the fact I had just met my mate, the Alpha of Rogues, a monster. We had just lost pack members because of my mate, something I'd never be able to forgive myself for.

"Tell us what happened, sweetie." My mom pushed. They wanted me to tell them what happened while I was with the rogues. They needed to know anything about the rogues that could help us defeat them. They were attacking packs left and right, slowly killing off the werewolf population. We needed to take them down before they could do any more damage, but I didn't know what to tell them. I couldn't tell them the truth, even though the truth was what got me away from the rogues. If I wasn't their Alpha's mate, I would still be stuck with them. My virginity would have been taken yesterday and there was a big possibility I'd be dead if I wasn't his mate.

"I don't remember." I lied straight through my teeth. I raised my eyes to see Lucas's brows scrunched up as he straightened up. He knew I was lying, I could never get away with lying around him, but my parents believed me. Thankfully my brother didn't say anything and stayed standing in the back of the room.

"It's okay, just let us know if you remember anything." My father told me. I nodded and remained sitting as my parents stood up and left the room. Lucas didn't follow them, instead I could feel his eyes watching me. I squeezed my hands together, trying to distract myself from his gaze. My breathing quickened and I tried to take deep breaths so I wouldn't have an anxiety attack.

"Please don't tell them." I whispered, the tears forming in my eyes. Lucas pushed himself off the wall and was by my side in an instant. He sat down next to me and wrapped his arms around me. With me in his embrace, the flood gates opened up and I couldn't stop the tears that streamed down my face.

"What happened?" He asked. My eyes closed as I thought back to what happened. Midnight black eyes filled my eyes, causing a shiver to go down my spine. I couldn't tell if it was a good or bad shiver. He scared me, yet I was still attracted to him. He was my mate after all, of course I was attracted to him. My wolf yearned to be with his, but that would probably never happen. His whole life revolved around killing pack members like me. We were the complete opposite and our kinds wanted each other dead. There was no way I could be with him, even if my heart wanted to. Besides, he made it clear he wanted nothing to do with me. I was nothing to him.

"I can't tell you." I finally replied, telling him the truth. I couldn't tell him, I couldn't let them find out that I had met my mate and he was the Alpha of Rogues. My mate was the story that parents told their kids so they wouldn't wonder alone. He was the stories that wolves told around a campfire with a flashlight shining on their face. He brought fear to every pack member, including the Alphas. It shouldn't be possible for rogues to have an Alpha, especially one with that amount of power. He was literally a living nightmare.

"I don't like that answer, but I won't push." Lucas admitted. I hated the fact I was keeping secrets from him, but I had no choice. If he found out what really happened, he would set off to try to kill my mate. He would run to his death if it meant protecting me from the most vicious rouge out there.

"Thank you." I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding in. His grip tightened around my shoulders and we stayed in complete silence as I let him hold me. Eventually the tears stopped coming and I focused on his heartbeat. His heartbeat was steady; a rhythm I almost had memorized. Countless of times we had ended up in this position because I was constantly bullied. He was always my support while I was always a crying mess. I hated the fact that he constantly had to look out for his little sister, the runt of the pack. He had better things to do than babysit me, he needed to focus on becoming the Alpha. Except to him, helping me was better than becoming the Alpha or hanging out with friends. He would always help me no matter what the consequence.