Step Nineteen

Step Nineteen

I fiddled with my hands as the bus came closer and closer to entering my old pack's territory. I smoothed out the ends of my black dress, I did anything to distract myself from what was about to happen. I was about to attend my father's funeral.

"Stop fidgeting." Brute growled out, taking my hands in one of his. He let out a sigh when he noticed that my eyes were tearing up again and pulled me into his chest. His arms felt like a shelter and I was safe in his embrace. I got myself to stop crying and I tried my hardest not to think about what was about to happen. I wasn't ready for the speeches and tears. I wasn't ready to cry over my father, regardless if he turned against me. I wasn't ready to face everyone I left behind while running for my life. I wasn't ready for any of it.

I knew the second we entered my old territory. I don't know how, but I just felt it within me. Sure enough, the bus pulled to a stop a few minutes later in front of the pack house. I was pretty sure the bus driver had no clue why one of his stops was in front of a giant house, but he did it regardless. Which was good for us because we were able to get off of the bus without walking anywhere. We were greeted with complete silence when we walked off the bus, even though we were surrounded by pack members. Brute stepped in front of me, his stance saying he was ready for a fight. He didn't get one, though, instead the crowed parted until there was a straight path to the front door of my old pack house. Brute took my hand in his and lead me towards the front door. Most of my old pack lowered their heads out of respect as we made our way up to the steps. We barely made it up the first step before the front door swung open, revealing Lucas standing in the doorway. He wore a slick black suit, but his hair was ruffled and messy. He looked like a complete mess, and I knew everything was quickly getting to him. Not only did our father just die, he just took on being the Alpha of an entire pack.

"Lucas." I whispered. He opened his arms open for me and I ran into them. He wrapped me up in his embrace and I couldn't stop myself from crying. I didn't realize until that moment how much I really missed him. Before I would rarely go a day without seeing him but I had been away from him for so long, something that I had never done. I missed my big brother.

"I've missed you so much." He told me, taking the words out of my mouth. I squeezed him and he pressed his lips against my forehead.

"We need to go." A voice spoke up. Lucas and I broke apart and turned to see my mother standing behind Lucas. She didn't even look at me, instead her eyes stayed focused on her son. She no longer had a daughter because I betrayed her and the pack. I had no doubt my father would have felt the same way as her, but they were still my parents.

"Let's go." Lucas finally said. He went back inside and Brute and I moved out of the way as Lucas, the Beta, and other strong members of the pack carried my dad's casket out of the house. My mother trailed behind the casket and Brute and I were a few steps behind her. The rest of the pack traveled behind us, everyone walking in complete silence. We headed straight for the woods and within 10 minutes we made it to the Alpha's cemetery. The cemetery had been there since the beginning of the pack and was saved for the Alphas and their families in the pack. The cemetery gave me the creeps, but you could feel the power radiating from it.

"Wow." A small gasp escaped Brute's lips. I then remembered that he never belonged to a pack except for his rogues. My heart ached for him, knowing he never had anyone to rely on. Most of all, he had no one to love him because his parents were killed when he was only 11. I had no doubt all his pain and rage was the reason why he was so powerful.

"It's crazy how much power the dead can still possess." I muttered. He gave me a small nod, probably realizing he was showing emotion in front of people other than me. You couldn't take all the monster out of him, but it was okay because he wasn't going around killing people anymore. I knew I had changed him, and that was all that really mattered.