Chapter Three

Rose P.O.V

My cheeks were still burning up as I got up from the couch, following Josh's father to the backyard, which is where pack meetings are held. Josh walked next to me, and surprised me by reaching out to grab my hand. I smiled warmly towards him and took his hand in mine. At least some part of today still brings happiness.

We walked out onto the fresh grass, hand in hand, and the aura of happiness I held started to dim. Not one face didn't hold sadness, loss, or pain. It seemed as if most people here wanted to lock them selves in their rooms and cry. I would too, if I had lost my mate in such an uncalled battle as this. Josh and I took our stances in front of the large stage used for meetings, parties, bands, and such. Our Alpha, Andrew, stood at the front, and was flanked by his second and third in command, Cole (Beta and Josh's father), and Drake.

"I welcome you today to one of our most depressing pack meetings. I am very sorry to say that along with those nasty,evil, Rogues, many of our fellow members also drew their last breath. We will be a memorial service for all of our deceased next weekend. Now, and this has to be one of the most hardest lists I have ever read in my life, I will announce our lost souls." The Alpha spoke. I held in a breath, afraid to hear what friends I may have lost. How many young children were left orphaned? How many young children were left dead?

One by one, Alpha Andrew named our lost pack members. And one by one, people began to break into tears once again. I recognized some of the names of people who were somewhat close to me, and I couldn't help shedding a tear as well. Five-year-old Isabella, whom I used to baby-sit, was left orphaned. 15-year-old Kali, Isabella's older sister, and her parents were dead. 76-year-old 'Grandma' Sophie, a very sweet old woman who baby-sat me when I was a young child, dead. 20-year-old Evan, one of the most funny, outgoing, sweet guys ever,dead. He had a mate, and she was 5 months pregnant. And now a widow and single mother, thanks to those bastard Rogues. And a handful more people who didn't deserve to die.

"Delaney Hathaway." The Alpha spoke, and he sounded surprised.

My heart stopped. I stood frozen, unaware of anything around me. I hadn't given my mother a second thought. She was supposed to be out!  I never thought she hadn't gotten that far. But she couldn't be dead. She can't be DEAD! No, she's at a club happily dancing with her friends. She's not lying dead on the ground! They have the wrong body! I started shaking, and the tears spilled out. Soon i was sobbing. My vision was blurry and my knees couldn't hold me up anymore. I fell to the ground, expecting to feel a thud, but I realized I was in the air. More specifically, Josh was carrying me. He was whispering something to me, but I couldn't make it out. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. I wasn't prepared for this. Most likely everyone here already knew who they lost. I didn't.

The Alpha listed the last names, and everything was quiet for a moment, as everyone mourned. I was slowly gaining back my senses, but the grief was still tearing at my heart.

"A new law was passed a year ago, by the Werewolf Royal Council." Alpha Andrew began, and the whispers started. I was not looking forward to finding out this new law. By the look on our Alpha's face, it wasn't happy news.

"I have not yet had a reason to use this law, as we have not been attacked until now. I passed it off as something I would hopefully never use. But, boy, was I wrong. Many of you are wondering where you will live, now that your family has deceased. This law was made to give you a place to reside, but I personally, do not accept it.

"The law states, 'Any minor under the age of eighteen years, to have been orphaned by the death of all family or guardians, must be sent to live at the Royal Castle as a gift from our King. They will be well cared for and have much more than they would living alone or under friend's care. Young children will have nanny's and older children will have a school to attend. At the age of eighteen years, the child may stay and work for the castle, until they have a steady amount of money by their own hard work and are ready to become adults, allowing them to leave the castle grounds and return to their pack to search for their mate.' This law is at most unrealistic, and unhealthy for our small children. I am sorry to say even being an Alpha, I can't do anything to change or alter the law. All our pack members falling under the criteria must begin packing as you will leave the day after the memorial service." And with that the pack meeting was over.