Chapter One

Rose P.O.V

I tried to suppress my laughter as I ran from tree to tree, hiding from Josh. Josh was my best friend. We have known each other since we were in diapers. We were inseparable, Josh and I.

"Rose! You can run but you can't hide!" Josh yelled. I kept quiet as I climbed up a tree. It took no longer than two seconds. As for Josh, it would take way longer. Why, you ask? I don't know. I was outrageously stronger than the rest of my pack, which was impressive for a girl. I was faster and I hate to admit it, prettier than everyone. I never taken that into advantage, though. Except for times like these.

I quickly turned when I heard twigs snap nearby. That's what I get for daydreaming. I crept up higher into the tree, blocking myself from view as much as I could. Josh came into view, and he was looking everyone for me, with a very confused look on his face. He wasn't paying attention as he took the next step forward and fell flat on his face. I couldn't hold it in anymore, and I burst out laughing.

He got up and look straight at me. "Found you Rose!"

"That's not fair, you made me laugh!" I giggled, then put a small pout in my face. "C'mon Rose, come down already!" Josh yelled. I stood up on the branch I was sitting on and gracefully jumped down, landing on my feet. Josh gaped at me. Like he has never seen me do that.

"Race you home!" I yelled as I shifted into my wolf. It was pure white, with a black patch of fur that looked like a crown on my shoulder. Josh always teased me about it. I think it's like a birthmark or something of the like.

I sprinted off towards my house with Josh in tow. I reached it first, to no one's surprise, and changed back to my human. I headed towards the shed we have in the backyard and quickly put on what ever clothes I could find. Which included a tank top and jean shorts.When I came out Josh was patiently waiting dressed in only basketball shorts.

Josh was pretty nice looking, but I had no romantic feelings for him. He was my big brother. He looks out for me and I look out for him.

"Are you overwhelmed by my sexiness that you can't move, Princess?" Josh teased. I came up to him and slapped him on the arm.

"Shut up, loverboy!" I laughed. "Now c'mon, let's go inside." I grabbed his arm and dragged him behind me.

"No, Rose, I will not go to your bedroom with you!" Josh said, very loudly. I turned and gave him a glare, before walking into the front door. My mom was on the phone, flirting with some dude, as usual. My father has never been in the picture, so she has nothing to worry about. I rolled my eyes as I walked past her, up to my room. Josh followed behind me.

My father was not a speaking matter around here. Or anywhere, actually. Anytime I even got out the word 'dad' my mother would freak out on me. She told me never to ask anybody about him, ever. I don't know why, it's not like anybody knows. She won't talk about him even when she's drunk. Trust me, I've tried many times. Twenty-four beers later, all my mom would mutter is he's somebody she used to know. Stupid song lyrics.

I have pretty much given up hope of finding him. I don't even know his eye color, for Pete's sake! If he's dead, I should know. But nope, nobody cares that Rose is going out of her mind not knowing who her second parent is. I know I look like him, though. My hair is a golden blond and my eyes are a bright blue. My mother has dark brown hair and brown eyes. I definatly got more in the beauty department from my father, too. I mean, my moms pretty, but she ain't no Rose.

I have boys falling at my feet everywhere I go. Some even get jealous of Josh. Not like he's my boyfriend or anything, so they have no reason to be jealous. But I don't date. I don't want to fall in love with a guy and then he finds his mate or I find mine. All my love is for my mate, and my mate only. If I ever find him.

"Rose, ROSE! Earth to Rose!" Josh yelled in my ear, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Okay, okay, I'm here!" I said, seconds away from smacking him again.

"Finally! You've been in la la land for hours now!" Josh said.

"Sure I was," I replied, sarcasm seeping through my tone. Josh looked over at me. "What were you thinking about?" He asked.

I sighed. "My Dad." I frowned a little. "Don't you ever wish you had a perfect family? Mother, Father, Daughter, Son? That the Mom and Dad were in love and caring towards their children? I mean, you have that, your Dad being Beta and all...." Josh pulled me in for a hug, silencing my ramble. I felt bad for pouring my problems onto him. Who knows, maybe his family wasn't all that perfect? I was no one to judge.

I laid in his arms, calm and comfortable. If only life were always like this. "It's okay, Rose. Don't get all rustled up about it. It's not your fault." His voice was soothing to my ears. I closed my eyes. "I know. But it's hard not to care that my own mother is hiding my father from me." I whispered.

"ROSE!!" My mother's voice broke the trance we were in. I pulled myself away from Josh, missing the warmth of his body already. I sent him a small smile before heading downstairs. I walked into the living room and saw my mom grabbing her purse and a jacket. I coughed, signaling I was here.

"Oh, hi honey! I just wanted to let you know that I'm going out. I'll be back around ten? Maybe eleven. Don't stay up past midnight!" She walked up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek before heading to open the front door. "Bye, honey!" She smiled. "Bye, Mom!" I sent her a smile back. My mom tried, she really did. Most of the time. But I still loved her. Even with all of this, she was still my mom.

Sometimes it felt as if she had multiple personalities. One minute she was acting like a slut, the next like a loving mother.

I walked back up to my room to see Josh still sitting on the same spot on the bed he was when I left. "What did she say?" He asked.

"She's going out and should be home around eleven. Oh, and not to stay up after midnight." I replied. I went and sat next to him and leaned my head on his shoulder. He chuckled. "I don't think any teenager follows that rule." He smirked at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

"So what are we gonna do for the rest of the day?" I asked.

"Watch scary movies and stuff our faces with junk food?" Josh sugessted. I laughed and got up from my bed, heading for the door. "I'm up for it!"

I went to the kitchen to make some popcorn and Josh headed to find a movie. I really don't know why I agreed to this. I hate scary movies. With a passion.

The beeping of the microwave reminded me what I was doing. I grabbed the popcorn and two cans of Coke and headed towards my living room. "What movie did you pick?"

Josh grabbed a Coke from me as I took my place next to him. "The Grudge." He smirked.

"Oh God no, you know how much I hate that movie!" I all but yelled.

"Sorry Angel, you got to pick last time." He held his hands up in innocence. I really regret ever owning that movie.

"Ugh, fine. But I'm probably gonna have my eyes closed the entire movie." I grumbled. I laid back as Josh started the movie.

"OH MY GOD DON'T GO BACK TO THE HOUSE SHE IS GONNA KILL YOU!!" I yelled, Pulling my knees up to my chest. Josh just laughed. Screw boys, how come they are never scared? I mean, this is scary stuff right here. I got up and headed towards my bathroom, turning on every light on my way there. I really had to go, and couldn't hold it in anymore. Did I mention bathrooms become a hundred times scarier when your watching scary stuff?

I walked back into the living to find it empty. The T.V had that gray and black 'snowflakes' on it.

"Josh I'm gonna kill you!" I mumbled. I grabbed the remote and shut off the television, walking up to my room. I walked in and shut the door. Josh jumped out of my closet screaming, which caused me to yell, while loosing my balance and falling unto the floor. I sat up and glared at him. He was doubling over in laughter.

Loud growls coming from outside caught our attention. Screams followed soon after. I got up hurriedly, and grabbed onto Josh in fear. We went over to the front window that showed the forest, and I gasped at what I saw.