Writing Poetry

✣Writing Poetry✣ 

Now this is an even vaguer subject than romance. There are a hundred different types of poetry formats to write in, but I'm only going to point out the basics.

Literary devices are important here- that's the whole point of poetry; unless it is a simple rhyming poem with no special meaning behind it.

1. Allegory- a story that has a deeper, hidden, or symbolic meaning in addition to its surface meaning; used for teaching or explaining ideas, moral, or spiritual principles.  

2. Alliteration- the repetition of the same sounds - usually initial consonants of words or of stressed syllables - in any sequence of neighboring words;  

3. Allusion- a passing or casual reference; an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication; a hint that points to a historical or literary characters, events, or things.  

4. Archetype- the highest ideal(s) associated with a character, event, or thing; a perfect example of a type or group; in Jungian psychology, any of several innate ideas or patterns in the psyche, expressed in dreams, art, etc. as certain basic symbols or images.  

5. Assonance- repetition of a vowel sound in stressed syllables in which the consonant sounds are unlike.  

6. Connotation- the figurative definition of something; idea or notion suggested by or associated by a word, phrase, etc. in addition to its explicit meaning or denotation.  

7. Denotation- the literal or dictionary definition; the direct, explicit meaning or reference of a word or term. 

8. Flashback- a literary or cinematic device in which an earlier event is inserted into the normal chronological order of a narrative.  

9. Foreshadow- to present an indication or a suggestion of beforehand.  

10. Hyperbole - exaggeration for effect and not meant to be taken literally.  

11. Imagery- is the use of words and details to create vivid pictures in the reader's mind.  

12. Irony-an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected; the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning. 

13. Metaphor- a figure of speech containing an implied comparison, in which a word or phrase ordinarily and primarily used of one thing is applied to another.  

14. Metonymy- a word which by close association, symbolically or figuratively stands for the thing that it is associated with; a figure of speech in which the name of one thing is used in place of that of another associated with or suggested by it.  

15. Mood- a predominant or pervading feeling, spirit, or tone.  

16. Motif- a reoccurring pattern or theme; a main element, idea, feature, etc.; specific to a main theme or subject to be elaborated on or developed, as in piece of music or a book; a repeated figure in a design. 

17. Onomatopoeia- formation of a word by imitating the natural sound associated with the object or action involved; echoism.  

18. Oxymoron- a figure of speech in which opposite or contradictory ideas or terms is combined.  

19. Paradox- a statement that seems contradictory, unbelievable, or absurd but that may be true in fact.  

20. Parallelism- close resemblance; similarity; likeness, correspondence, or similarity in aspect, course, or tendency. 

21. Personification- a figure of speech in which a thing, quality, or idea is represented as a person.  

22. Repetition- the act or process or an instance of repeating or being repeated.