Chapter Six

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rosie's Diner

3:56 PM

"Ha! You blinked. I win!" Scar talked rather loudly in the busy diner. James and Scarlett were sitting in their favorite booth and sharing some fries.

"Okay that was a fair win, that time." James had his head down and he looked up at Scar who was on the verge laughing. Then his mouth twitched up into a smile.

They both couldn't contain themselves as they laughed at how funny they were acting. But James stopped laughing and straighten himself out as a girl approached the table. Scar had stopped laughing as well and was cleaning the table up a bit.

"Hey Jenny, I thought we were going to meet up later?" Some question in his voice.

Scarlett took a look at this girl. She was your typical upper east side chick, expensive and preppy everything. Her sheer blouse was tucked into a pencil skirt and her matching hand bag was hanging on her forearm. Off white pearls hung around her neck and her lip gloss was so shiny it could blind someone if a light hit it.

"Well I had nothing better to do after being at my mother's business brunch so I went to your house early. Maria said you would be here." Jenny took a glance at Scar.

"Well uh... have a seat!" James scooted over and patted where he was just sitting. James just winked at Scar. She took his wink as a be nice, so she was just going to shut up and not speak.

"Scar this Jenny, my girlfriend. Jenny this is Scarlett my best friend." Talk about awkward introductions. This one was by far the most awkward. James put his arm around Jenny's shoulders. That was awkward for Scar too.

Some silent moments passed but Jenny started speaking quietly to James as if Scar couldn't hear. "We're going to hang out later, right?" Even though there was question in her voice there wasn't much option in the answer.

"Yes, of course." James tried to sound enthused.

Jenny smiled. "Excuse me, I'm going to freshen up in the bathroom." Her voice raised back up to normal level. James took his arm away.

After she was out of ear shot he spoke to Scar. "Hey I'm sorry about Jenny I meant-" Scar cut him off with her hands because she knew this conversation could only get worse.

"No, no it's okay! Everything's fine!" She threw a reassuring smile into the mix.

"Okay." James waved down Sophie to get the check.

Jenny was practically stomping back to the booth in her shiny black high heels. "Jess needs me, I gotta go. See you later James." She pecked him on the cheek. Scar thought she was going to hurl. "Scarlett." Then she was off.

"Hey before we leave, I have your gift." James' eyes were sparkling.

"Me too! But you first." Scar reached down into her bag under the table to see if she had his gift with her. Then she remembered last seeing it on her dresser.

James pulled out a skateboard with a bow on top from under the seat. Scar was so shocked she had to put her hands over her open mouth.

"James! Thank you, thank you!" She flipped over the skateboard to see the bottom artwork. It was all of her favorite band logos. "This is amazing!" She got up to hug him. "Hey, I left my gift for you at my apartment."

"Oh, that's okay. We can head over that way because there's kind of a part two to your gift." Scar grabbed her bag from the booth.

"A another part?" James and Scar were walking out of the diner now.