Chapter One

Monday, June 12, 2004

Midtown, Kentucky

3:47 PM

Scarlett hops out of her grandmother's car, and grabs her school bag with her. The thick summer air sticks to her skin and the warm wind whips her brown locks across her forehead as she adjusts her school uniform. Wesley Private School only allows their students to wear, long tan khakis and a navy polo shirt with WPS sewn on the left breast pocket.

Scar always loves the summer though. School's almost over and she can put her feet up while she reads new books. But that's only when she's not outside in the heat, tending to her grandma June's garden.

Just before they enter Sal's Pizzeria June takes the last drag of the cigarette, coughing in the process. Then she steps on it extinguishing its flame.

As much as Scar loves her grandmother, she hates the fact that she smokes. The smell is horrid and it lingers. Not to mention they're poisonous. Her grandmother is the only person she has left, that's close family. No brothers or sisters.

Shes never met her father. And her mother's in an insane asylum.

Sometimes she will visit Sandra in the asylum. But lately the visits have gone awry. Always ending with her mother trying to strangle her, because the voices in her head told her to.

In a couple of weeks it'll be a complete year since she's seen Sandra, and Scar isn't too upset about it. Its not like Sandra was a real mother anyways. Before she went to the asylum, Sandra would be drunk off her ass and never had food in the house. And she barely paid the electric bill.

Through all the pain Scar's mother caused and put her through, she still loves her. Scar sends cards on Christmas and Easter, and every big holiday in between.

But today is the day everyone seems to forget. It's the worst day of Scar's life. Her tenth Birthday. She dreads it every year. Even her grandmother, who loves her dearly, never remembers to say three simple words.

She would speak up and say something, but that's not the point. She wants someone, anyone, to remember and say: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" But year after year, she's continually disappointed.

"Why the long face sweetheart?" June asks.

"Nothing." Scar says through stiff lips. And she looks down at her white tattered converses. She swallows hard, trying to get rid of the lump that has formed in her throat.

"Well cheer up! Just think school is over in 4 days!" June always had a way of looking on the bright side. She always held you when you cried, or helped you when you were frustrated.

"Yeah... I guess that's true" she croaked with a sigh.

"I love you, Scarlett."

"Love you too, gammy June." Scarlett met her grandmothers warm green eyes and couldn't help but smile back at her.

4:32 PM

"Happy birthday too you..."

Scar ripped her eyes from her homework and looked at the next table over. A girl, who looked to be about 8, wore a huge smile on her face as her family sang the song. Scar burned with jealousy, as her cheeks flushed with red.

June was signing the bill then she looked up at Scar, "Okay! Ready to go kiddo?"

She was silent for a moment. Still staring at the girl with the birthday Sunday. Then looked back at her gammy. "Yeah, guess so."

She packed up her books and papers. Shrugging on her school bag as she trudged out the door. She followed behind her grandmother while taking one last glance at the girl, who was taking a big spoonful of vanilla ice cream.