Chapter Four

Monday, June 12, 2006

New York, New York

5:29 PM

Scarlett hand dried her dripping hair with a free towel. She cleared the fogged on the mirror with her hand and stared back at her reflection. The same dark circles hung around her eyes and refused to leave. Countless nights of no sleep can do that. She longed for Kentucky and her grandmother. And even after two years, Scarlett still couldn't let go.

She was greeted with another notorious note on the icebox when she woke up yesterday. But this time her Aunt would be gone for a few days, instead of a few hours.

After getting dressed Scar stared at the phone on the wall. She debated if she should call James or not. They hadn't talked in a week or so. Her stomach grumbled with hunger so she decided against calling.

Scar had tagged along with her Aunt to the store one day and got some real food. She opened up her designated cabinet and pulled out some sandwich stuff. She spackled some peanut butter and jelly onto bread and took a large bite. But before she could swallow the phone rang and pierced through the silent apartment, scaring Scar in the process. Mouth full and heart racing Scar answered the phone.

She managed to get out a muffled, "Hello?"

"Hi, this is James may I speak to Scou- Scarlett please?" his voice was relaxed and professional sounding.

Scar's heartbeat toned down and she swallowed her bite of sandwich before answering. "This is Scarlett, whats up James?"

"Hey Scout! Sorry I haven't talked to you in awhile..." He continued his babbling but Scar ignored it. She felt a pang in her stomach because she was almost certain he was going to cancel hanging out with her on their birthday.

"Scar?"

"What?"

"I asked, what do you wanted to do today?"

"Oh um.." Relief washed over her. "Well my Aunt's not home and uh... i don-"

"Really! Stay there I'll be there around seven and uh... clean up the scooby snack wrappers and caprisun reminisce in the living room." there was a smile in his voice.

She chuckled. "You know me too well, James." Her voice was infused with laughter.

He laughed. "See you at seven Scout!" the phone clicked in her ear which signaled that James hung up.

Scar was in no rush to clean the house but she was excited to see what James had planned. After finishing her sandwich she cleaned the living room and hoped James wouldn't mind that she was late on getting his gift this year.

7:06 PM

Just as Scar looked at the clock there was knocking at the door.

She had tied her hair back into a braid and put on some shorts and a fitted t-shirt. Since Scar was short she had to stand on her tippy-toes to reach the peephole. Sure enough it was James. She opened the door.

"Scout! How's it hangin'?" James was overly excited as he entered the apartment. He was carrying two large brown sacks.

But just before Scar closed the door, two people emerged from the hallway. "Happy Birthday!" Elizabeth was standing in the doorway with her arms up and out.

"Liz!" Scar returned her hug and saw that Nick was standing behind Liz in the hallway. "and Nick! Good to see ya'll." She backed from the hug and gestured them to come inside.

Liz was Scarlett's new friend from school. Well, her only friend from school unless you count James and maybe Nick.

Nick was James' long-time best friend from grade school or better know as his partner in crime. They do almost everything together.