Ch.5 Death is Not a Problem

Jason Grace woke to the sounds of screams.

Jumping up, he reached for his sword, but was dismayed to find it missing.

But that thought was banished from his mind as he stared unblinkingly at the scene before him.

There was a younger girl trying to shield an even younger boy.

“Thalia!”

With a jump, Jason deduced that the girl was Thalia and the boy, was that even possible?

It was himself. He could even see the scar from the stapler.

And there was also a woman.

She screamed and spat at the children, throwing anything she could get her hands on.

For a split second, Jason lost his composure. He ran to protect the children, trying to move them out of the way.

It didn’t work, for Jason just stumbled over the image.

That’s all it was, an image, a memory, Jason realized.

As he watched, he felt a familiar feeling.

Love

Love for his sister, love for Piper, as he truly did love her, and love for his friends and family.

But as the memory ended with Jason being given to Lupa and Thalia running away, a thought came to his mind.

He was dead.

So where was he?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leo Valdez woke to a very familiar sound.

“Come mijo,”

But that was impossible.

He was there when she died.

His mother was standing in front of him, arms outstretched.

For a second, Leo thought this was another plan from Gaea.

But that changed as he heard a small child’s giggle.

Turning around, he was faced with a small Latino boy.

Dark skin with curly hair, the constant twitching and elfish features stood out to Leo.

But what caught his attention was who it was.

It was himself.

“Was I really that small?” Leo asked himself.

The child ran towards him and through him as if he were only mist. Turning once again, Leo’s mother picked up the child and spun him around.

The laughter and smiles made Leo nostalgic for he knew that had happened once, but would never happen again.

As the two people, mother and child slowly faded away into the darkness, Leo wanted to call out to them, to tell to stop, to not leave him, but it was futile.

He was alone in the darkness.

Alone with his thoughts.

That’s when he realized it.

He was dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m a dangerous girl,”

Piper slowly opened her eyes, mere feet from two people, a couple she guessed by how close they were standing.