Ch.3 Irony

Gods have a twisted sense of humor.

But none more than Gaea.

Irony

Such a strange event that seems to happen regularly.

But as it is, Gaea seemed to revel in it the most.

Hazel’s cursed gems are a perfect example.

For as she fought to defend herself, she did not see the storm spirit lunge at her back. Only Frank who called out a desperate warning saw it.

As he lunged forward to intercept it, Hazel heard his cry and without thinking, rose several large rubies from deep within the earth and fired it behind her.

It would have been successful, if Frank had not already slain the venti and had not been in the place of the spirit.

Hazel’s eyes widened as she realized what she had done.

Frank turned into a bear to deflect the cursed gem but it was too late. He was struck right in the midsection. He only gave a strangled grunt as he turned back into a human and pulled out the ruby, his crimson blood dripping onto the hard ground.

Hazel watched horrified as he dropped the gem to protect himself from a couple of empousa that approached him, their fangs glinting in the midday sun. She watched in terror as a stroke of misfortune caused the bag, that held his stick of wood, to tear, and a familiar shape fell from it.

She watched as her boyfriend turned into a dragon and she wanted to cry out but her throat closed up.

And Frank blew fire over his enemies, unaware that he had caused his own demise.

She watched in morbid fascination as fire spread across his body, his flesh melting off his bones as his shrieks of agony silenced all who heard it.

Within seconds, nothing was left but ash and the scorched area Frank Zhang last stood.

Unfair?

Yes it was. For a demigod’s life was never easy, we could only keep fighting and hope we get recognition for our deeds. Hazel wanted to hold back a sob at the life should would never get to live now.

Ironic?

Definitely

Harsh?

Yes, but in the end, it was worth it. How many mortals have been saved throughout the years? Hazel knew it, Percy knew it, Annabeth knew it, this was the life destined for them and they must make the best of it.

But why wasn’t she feeling sorrow or a terrible rage to decimate her opponents?

That’s because she only felt loneliness, and emptiness.

They had failed, she knew it, and everyone knew it too.

Then she realized another reason why she couldn’t feel any more pain.

She was dying.

She managed to look down to see a gladius through her heart. She could faintly recognize the design etched in the blade.

First cohort.

Centurion

Octavian

How could she have been so stupid was her last thought as her soul left her body to enter the dismal realm of her father to spend eternity with her love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Pixels!

Here’s the update you all wanted!! The story has maybe three or four more chapters so stay tuned.

Dedicated to @MichaelPeleshaty because… well he’s cool:P

Catch ya on the flipside Pixels!

-PixelUp