Chapter 17

Feeling hands sift through his hair was unnerving.

"Drink as much as you need."

Alexandre's jaws tightened on Ria's arm, drawing a squeak of pain from the boy and snapping him back to himself. He quickly released him, spitting out the mouthful of blood he had been about to swallow. The hand in his hair slowed, then withdrew as his eyes rose to meet the captain's. If he was still human he might have thought that he didn't look tired at all, even after their fight, but that wasn't true. There was a faint sheen of sweat on his brow and he was slightly pale... He needed blood.

The thought that he might be able to attack him now had Alexandre immediately lunging over Ria. He collided with the captain and rolled, each fighting for dominance. Unfortunately, his observations weren't as good as he had first thought. The vampire easily pinned him to the bloody planks, a twisted smile strewn across his face.

"Did you think that I would let you feed just to be able to kill me? Your newborn powers are diminishing, and I created you..."

He leaned forward, his face stopping mere inches from Alexandre's.

"...you will never be able to kill me, Alexandre."

Just as he was opening his mouth to respond Alexandre heard a loud booming sound off in the distance.

"What the...?"

Worn wood was suddenly blown into the air as a heavy cannon ball slammed through the railing of the ship and struck the captain square in the side. He was spun by the momentum and the easily audible sound of bones breaking crunched through the wind. The captain came to a stop as the ball crashed past his body and through the opposite rail, then into the water.

Holy...

"All hands on deck! Prepare to return fire!"

His mind snapped back to the present when Desden ran out from below deck, shouting orders as he headed for the captain.

"James!"

When the vampire didn't respond, Desden skidded to a stop and leaped up into the crow's nest.

"Hunters!"

He was back on deck in a blur, running over to the mast to untie the ropes from the storm when another blast sounded through the air, this one much closer. The cannon ball roared through the main mast, splintering the wood before the entire thing came down. The loud sound brought the captain back to his wits just in time to dodge. The huge mast broke partially through the deck and decimated the rail where it extended several feet over the water.

"All hands on deck! Prepare to be boarded!" 

With the mast down there was no chance of them escaping so they needed to be ready to fight. As James stood he withdrew his sword from its scabbard and his eyes fell upon Alexandre as he, too, rose to his feet. He didn't look to have gotten injured by the cannon ball that had hit himself. 

Good. 

"Get in my cabin, now." 

"Go to hell!"

He really didn't have time to argue with him, especially since his previous attack on his crew was the reason their lookout had gotten distracted and couldn't warn them of the encroaching ship. 

So be it if he gets hurt! 

Another loud rumble shot through the air, but thankfully the ball sailed just over their heads before splashing into the water several yards off.