TWENTY-FIVE

Eleanor jumped when the front door to Giselle's one-bedroom apartment opened, nearly flying off the hinges. He came through the apartment like a storm, not paying attention to much else but her.

She stood from the pink suede couch just in time to walk into his arms, not realizing how much she needed him until she saw him. Immediately she could feel parts of her that were tense relax. His arms wrapped around her completely, as if she was made to be there.

"Stai bene?" He murmured, his voice juxtaposed his bravado upon his entry.

"She is fine, and so I am, brother." Giselle said sarcastically from the accent chair in the room, unfolding her legs and standing, "So is your cousin."

Her words put Francesco back in reality and Eleanor immediately felt cold when he stepped away. She hadn't noticed Enzo follow behind Francesco. He was standing near the hallway, concern in his eyes whether he wanted to admit it or not.

"What the fuck happened?" Francesco asked.

"He happened. I told you he needs to die, I have said it multiple times and because you didn't listen to me they came into your house and nearly killed not only him but your wife and your sister." Giselle accused. If she had been talking about not taking out the trash causing ants, it wouldn't have sounded any different in Eleanor's eyes. Giselle had been harping on Andreas' death since she heard the news.

It was shocking to Eleanor to see just how used to all of this Giselle was. Giselle had killed three men today and she had been more upset about her manicure than the deaths.

She couldn't help but think that one day, she may be the same person. I have already killed someone today. Eleanor thought. It filled her with dread and she found herself unable to stay in the room with the family.

She made to leave but she stopped herself.

This is my family. I am already... this. There was no running from it, and no matter how many times she had washed her hands she could still see the blood on them.

"For fucks sake Giselle, I am not dying so get over it!" Andreas yelled.

"You sure about that?" Giselle asked, walking up to him. Though she was a foot shorter, Eleanor hoped for Andreas' sake he didn't speak.

"Giselle," Enzo called out, "Let's get a drink."

"I don't drink," Giselle called back,

"Okay, let's get some water."

"I..."

"God dammit woman, just come take a breath with me," Enzo said exasperated enough in trying to be polite. Giselle picked up her purse, throwing it on her shoulder, "I will take the drink and you are paying."

When they both left, Eleanor felt like she could breathe a little better with just Francesco and Andreas there, but it was short-lived.

Francesco turned to Andreas, grabbing him by the throat and slamming him against the wall, high enough that his feet dangled a few inches from the ground.

Eleanor jumped up trying to pry them apart but his forearms were like steel and he had a vice grip around Andreas' throat, so much so that he couldn't even make sounds in his efforts to free himself

"Francesco! Stop."

Eleanor wish she knew what Francesco was saying to Andreas but he only spoke in his native tongue, whatever it had been it was enough to elicit fear from Andreas' eyes.

"You can't kill him, he is our way out of this!" Eleanor yelled, but it hadn't worked, if anything his grip tightened as he realized Andreas was nearly at the end of his rope.