NINETEEN

When Francesco stepped inside the home, he was shocked to see all of the lights on, greeted to complete darkness. It was almost like his life months prior.

But this time, there was supposed to be someone there. Dropping his bags, he searched for Eleanor. He was thankful he had managed to hire capable men, as his world didn't burn while he was away as he thought it would.

While they were still in the dark about who was behind the fuckery, it hadn't seemed like a pertinent matter on top of everything else.

Half of Francisco's day was incredibly normal. He didn't just run these businesses to hide his money (while that was the major reason) he had to keep them all running as well.

There were only so many times he could keep having someone act as him as if he wanted anything done right then he would certainly have to do it himself.

They would have to end, as when he opened the door to their bedroom, he found Eleanor sleeping on her stomach. The lamp light was on but dimmed. Surrounded by her sleeping form had been different photos of dresses and plans likely for the year-end ball.

Francesco smiled to himself, touched that she had at least attempted to stay awake. Quietly, Francesco disrobed himself, wanting to take a shower before getting into bed.

Eleanor must've been exhausted because she was still asleep when he had gotten out of the shower.

He removed the binders and photos from his side of the bed, placing them on the couch in the room. Somehow that was the noise that had managed to wake her, as when he turned around her brown sleepy eyes were looking at him.

"Did I wake you?" He asked.

She shook her sleepy head 'no' but it wasn't convincing. Eleanor sat up in the bed, "I was actually trying to wait for you to get back."

Francesco climbed into the bed and turned his back to her. Looking in her eyes when she said the words, he felt the sincerity and it had sent an unfamiliar jolt through him.

Even with his back turned, he could hear her give a loud yawn behind him, "Do you always work so late?"

"I might've gotten too into my routine today," Francesco said passively as he pulled clothes from the dresser.

If she had noticed his cool demeanor, she made no mention of it as he sat down on the bed in just the towel.

"I've gotten into one myself."

"I've noticed," Francesco nudged his head over to the books, "Giselle already has you running around like the lady of the house."

Francesco stood to put on his boxers, letting the towel fall to the floor as he made to slip them on. He could feel Eleanor's eyes on him and when he looked at her, he could see the desire that lie not far beneath.

It caused him to falter for a moment, but he had hoped it had gone unnoticed. He found himself constantly juggling between feeling almost barbaric about her to feeling like himself when he was merely fifteen years old.

He wish he knew the difference between Eleanor and the rest of the women he had had in the past, but he never felt the need to linger on that thought too long.

Eleanor moved on top of him as soon as he had been seated giving him a long lingering kiss. The action came as a surprise for him but Francesco reacted not even a moment later, his hands gripping her waist.

It was all it took for him to forget about every thought that ran through his mind just moments prior.

She pulled away, "I am sorry, I just cannot resist kissing you when you're half-dressed and dripping wet." While she was apologizing, there was laughter in her voice. She played with a wet curl that hung over his brow, softly brushing the skin on his face.