Chapter Five

JAMES ORDERED for both some fancy wine and a unpronounceable food from French cuisine. Lana just hoped he didn't order snails or something equally weird food French people eat.

The wine was delicious, and the food turned out to be a very tasty chicken with fresh vegetable and rice. This was the first proper meal Lana had in a year. Well, the first proper meal she didn't cook herself once a month.

Lana loved cooking and eating, but unlike some lucky women, she had curves and that meant she had to watch everything she put in her mouth is she wanted to stay skinny. And skinny is the right word, because that's the way casting directors decided actresses should look like. Sure they were allowed to have curves, as long as there was no cellulite or fat on them. Seriously, sometimes it's like the movie industry had exact same standards as the fashion one. All women had to look like they hadn't eaten in a week.

Lana tried to devour the food she was eating and enjoyed the company, because she knew this was once in a lifetime deal. James turned out to be completely different person than the one magazines portrayed him to be. It was a pleasure to be in his company. He wasn't at all the bratty, egoistical playboy they portrayed him to be. So far he was the exact opposite.

"Vivian, I don't mean to spoil the night, but I'd really like to know more about you."

When Lana looked up at his face she noticed he was staring at her and hadn't touched his food at all. It would of been creepy if it didn't look so damn romantic. He looked genuinely interested in her. It was a rare thing, because every since she arrived to this city all people wanted and noticed was physical beauty. All the male population wanted from her was sex or a mindless bimbo, but this felt different. A good different.

She pretended to seriously think about whether to tell him something. And then James turned on his puppy dog eyes and she was a goner.

"I can't say no to that." Gesturing to his face, which lit like Christmas lights. He looked like a kid that just got a present of a lifetime. "I'll answer three of your questions if you answer mine."

A sly smile was plastered on his face.

"You've got a deal." He picked up his fork for the first time since the food was brought at their table and started eating.

It all looked like he was relived he got her talking and if she'd refuse him he'd go on a hunger strike.

"So, James, you go first. What do you want to know about me?"

She smiled at him, deep down petrified at what to tell him. She didn't want to lie to him and at the same time she lied to him from the beginning. Besides he'll hate her if she ever finds out she was only here, with him because Mr. McCain paid her three million dollars. She'll just have to lie and continue to pretend she's Vivian, her all time favorite Julia Roberts character. Maybe she'll play a mix of the character and the real persona.

James shoot the first question like all he was thinking about it since he first met her earlier this night.

"I know you're not married, you told that to the waiter what I want to know is if you have any special man in your life?"

Lana let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding in. This question was easy. For this question she didn't need to lie. And from some strange reason she seemed to really hate all the lying her agreement with Ian McCain made her do tonight.

"Unattached for over a year. There just wasn't time for a relationship and I didn't meet anyone who'd made me make time."

It looked like my answer pleased him, because the sly smile he had on before changed into a genuine one that reached his eyes.

"Mine turn." I smiled at him. "Why me?"

Lana was genuinely interested in his answer. She knew why she agreed to stay with him. She had three million dollars of reasons to say yes. But she didn't know why he asked her out in the first place.

Lana never felt like a drop dead gorgeous woman and thought of herself as a average person, both in looks and in personality. And the past years she spent in LA trying to become an actress she became even more self conscious about the fact she wasn't as pretty or extraordinary beautiful as the women she was competing for a part as well.

"So, do you believe in love at first sight?"