Chapter Forty Four

SAM WAS ABSOLUTLEY TAKEN with New York City. He loved he was in the same city as his favorite, and only uncle Gabe, he loved he didn't have to do any homework, because he wasn't at school. He loved that he could see a dinosaur's bones. The only thing he didn't like was that he wasn't able to take his horse with him. But in the end a carriage ride around Central Park made up for that fact.

He was so happy Lana dreaded the moment she will have to tell him the truth - he has a father, and his name is James Cornell. She didn't know how to do it, when to do it, she only knew she had to do it quickly, because otherwise James will tell him.

It was complicated to explain to Sa why he had to let a nice doctor lady swap his mouth. Specially because Sam didn't understand why he had to go to the doctor when his tummy didn't hurt.

"My tummy doesn't hurt mama. Why do I have to go to the doctor?"

There was a small war between Sam and Lana before he agreed to go to the doctor, and it ended with Lana taking Sam to the Disney store, where he could choose whichever toy he wanted. That was before the doctor's appointment. Because he was asking so many questions, Lana had to take him to the Toy'R'Us so he could pick another toy, and calm down.

What she did was completely out of her normal way of raising Sam, she felt guilty for entire day after that. She didn't want to be the parent who tried to buy their children's love. She wanted to be the parent who gave their children unconditional love, showed that to them, so they wouldn't even feel the need to receive gifts.

On the second night in New York, Lana couldn't sleep.

James was bound to receive the paternity test results in the morning. They will only confirm what she told him earlier, which meant she will have to tell Sam in the morning.

'I've already put this thing on hold for too long.'

She tried to convince herself.

'What if he will hate me for not telling him about his father earlier. What if he will hate me because I didn't tell him James was his father when James was visiting Reedville?'

She was wrecking her brain, walking up and down in her room. Sam had just fallen asleep and she knew she had to be quiet for the next half an hour, or he would wake up again and it would take forever to get him back to sleep.

She needed to distract herself, without making noise.

'TV is out.'

She said out loud before realizing she was speaking. Quickly her hand shot in front of her mouth, covering them, as if that gesture could take back the words she just said.

Holding her breath in, she tip-toed to Sammy's room. Slowly she opened the doors to his room and peeked inside.

The worry had been for nothing. Her son had been sound asleep.

Sammy was laying spread-eagled in his bed, with his feet in the pillows and his head on the other side.

Lana smiled to herself. Sam was a sleep-kicker. He would kick and move around in the bed, like he was restless or having a nightmare. Or both.

When he was younger he often accidentally kicked her in his sleep, after he came to her bed in during a storm. She thought it was unusual for a child to move around so much during sleep, she even talked to Sammy's doctor about it.

The doctor wasn't concerned. Sam wasn't having nightmares, he was just turning a lot, ending waking up in a totally different position from the one he fell asleep in. The doctor just said that this is a way some humans sleep, and that there's nothing wrong with them.

She tiptoed to the bed and fixed the blanket he kicked off him.

'He'll kick it off again before he wakes up in the morning, that's for sure.'

She knew that covering Sammy with a blanket was a Sizif's work, but she enjoyed watching her son sleep, and she loved taking care of him.

'What did I do to deserve such a beautiful child?'

Lana was asking herself this question every single night, when she went to check if her son was sleeping. To her, Sam wasn't an unwanted result of a one night stand with a stranger, he was a god's send.

'How am I going to tell you about your father without hurting you? How am I going to get pass this?'

These and similar thoughts lingered in Lana's mind. There was barely a moment during the past two days, she hadn't asked herself these questions. They were driving her mad.

She threw one last look at Sam, sprawled on the bed. He was sound asleep, with zero chance of waking up before six a.m. the next day. It was his routine.

Tiptoeing wasn't necessary now, but the dead silence made Lana do it anyway. She threw one last look at her sleeping son, closed the door to his room and walked back to hers while pulling out her mobile phone from the back pocket of her jeans.

Pressing number five on the keyboard, she speed dialed her best friend - Mia.

"Do you know what time is it? I could be a sleep. I could be on a date. Or worst of all, I could be watching Dallas re-runs."

Chipper voice of Lana's best friend came out from the speakers, reminding Lana how long it had really passed since she last talked to Mia.

"Good evening to you too Mia!"

"It was just a regular evening, but now that my friend came back from the dead and picked up her phone..." Mia pretended to deeply think what to say next. "Well now, one could argue it is a 'good' evening."

"Only you Mia, only you."

Every single time Lana didn't call her best friend in two or more days, this was the result. Mia pretending to be surprised and then flattered her friend had finally taken the time to call her. It was Mia's way of telling Lana, she needed to get her priorities straight.

"I will stop once you make me number one on your speed dial."

Lana could hear a fake pout forming on Mia's face. She was such a precious person to be friends with.

"Maybe when we're old and ugly, and my son marries a woman who hates my guts... Then maybe, just maybe, I will make you my number two."

"I'm never going to move pass your son, am I? I should just make you make me number one when he was younger and Gabe hadn't bought him a phone yet."

Lana couldn't help herself but to smile at the sigh of fake despair in Mia's voice.

"Right as always."

"The one time I didn't want to be!"

They both laughed. Lana felt better, she even forgot about James for a moment.

"So why did my friend decided to call me out of the blue? I mean I really could be watching Dallas re-runs."

If there was anything sacred to Mia, it was her freedom, Dallas re-runs and bringing joy to the world. Not necessarily in this order.