Chapter 2: Stunning

Author's Note: I dedicated this chapter to the beautiful screamingaegyo for designing the story's book cover. Just like this chapter's title, it's stunning, sweetie. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you think he's like?" Racquel gushed as they went through the 5-minute walk from the waiting shed to their school.

Ava gave her best friend a sideward glance. The girl's short, stylish black hair was bobbing up and down as she practically skipped to school, bouncing with excitement. Racquel's black eyes were glimmering with anticipation and there was a slight blush on her pale, freckled cheeks.

"Do you think his eyes are really that blue? He is half Welsh, so I'm thinking they're for real..." Racquel continued, not even bothering to wait for a response from Ava. "Do you have any idea where Welsh people come from?"

Ava blew a short sigh. When will all this talk about Matthias end? She then remembered that it was still the first day of school. She inwardly groaned. She was more than certain that she would have to endure a lot more days that were very similar to this. She shrugged before responding to Racquel. "I think they're from Wales, so that would mean they're from the UK. I'm pretty sure he does have blue eyes, although lighting and makeup may make it seem like his eyes are more stunning than they actually are."

In response, Racquel only let out a dreamy sigh.

"Anyway," Ava piped up, hoping against hope that she could somehow change the subject, "how was your summer? You were so excited about that fashion show your sister got you involved in. How did that go?"

A momentary look of sadness replaced the excitement on Racquel's face. "I don't want to talk about it."

Ava furrowed her brows, perplexed. "What happened?"

A moment of silence ensued before Racquel once again started chuckling. "I just said that I didn't want to talk about it... It's so like you to still go ahead and pry."

Ava smiled at her best friend's ever sunny disposition. Racquel's bubbly, what-you-see-is-what-you-get personality was one of the things Ava admired and loved about her best friend. With Racquel, there rarely was a dull or sad moment, so any sign of sadness in her eyes sent warning signals to Ava. "Can you blame me? You couldn't stop talking about that show before summer break and somewhere along the line, life suddenly seemed to become all about Matthias."

"Ava, I don't even think you realize the gravity of the situation here." Being a complete drama queen, Racquel grabbed her best friend's shoulders, stopping their short walk to school, before shaking Ava. "Matthias Vaughn – the Matthias Vaughn – is going to our school.  Why are you not crazy with excitement?"

"He's JM's cousin, Racq," was all Ava could say to explain as she gently brushed Racquel's hands off her shoulders.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Racquel asked as she continued their stroll to school, locking arms with Ava. "You know what? I still don't get why you broke up with JM in the first place... You were together for two years. That's like eternity in high school relationships, and you just wake up one day and decide that you don't want to be with him anymore?"

Ava bit her lower lip. How am I even going to explain this to her? How do I make her understand that I let go of that relationship, because I want to honor God first and foremost in my life? She opened her mouth to give Racquel a response, only to find out that she didn't need to. Upon looking at her best friend, it was obvious that Racquel was now completely distracted with something else. Ava momentarily stared at Racquel's wide-eyed expression, the pretty girl's mouth agape with surprise, before Ava decided to check out what her best friend was gawking at.