Chapter 1: Hosanna

Author's Note: The setting of this story is the Philippines. A couple of Filipino words you might want to know before reading: Ate - pronounced ah-teh - used to refer to older sisters/older young women; Kuya - pronounced koo-yah - used to refer to older brothers/older young men; Manong - pronounced mah-nong - same meaning as kuya, but is often also used to refer to older men; Lola - pronounced loh-lah - used to refer to grandmothers. That's it for now. Hope you enjoy the read!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." – Ephesians 6:12

Earlier that day...

The white Toyota Innova moved along the winding way of Brookside, whisking past the tall trees that lined the concrete road.

Ava's large brown eyes stared straight past the sturdy, towering pines, which the northern Philippine city of Baguio was known for, lost in her own thoughts until she somehow snapped out of her reverie and blinked into attention. She shifted her weight on the passenger seat behind the driver, flipping her long, wavy dark hair over her shoulders. A soft sigh escaped her full, pink lips as she surfed through the songs on her iPhone before settling for Hosanna by Hillsong Music Australia. A satisfied smile formed on her heart-shaped face. The song brought about a lot of fresh memories from the youth camp their church held that summer. In fact, her ears still echoed with Pastor Joseph's incessant admonitions about how important it was that their relationship with God be restored into first place in their lives.

Ava shut her eyes as the beautiful melody of one of her favorite worship songs continued to soothingly play in her ear.  She could not find words to express how she felt, so she just sat in silence, willing herself to direct her focus and attention to God. She wanted to make Him smile that day and every day that followed. She had wanted to bring Him joy ever since she decided to allow Christ to lead her life two years ago. She was just 13 years old then. Now, at 15, she was madly in love with her God and she couldn't think of living life any other way. As she thought ahead , musing over what would happen on her senior year in high school, she found herself uttering a heartfelt prayer. I want to bear fruit, God. Don't let this year pass by without my friends coming to know You.

Her God-directed thoughts were interrupted when two subsequent buzzes vibrated through her cell phone. She checked the messages and found one from her best friend, Racquel, and another from her mentor, Sophia Lee. It was a no-brainer which message Ava wanted to read first. She pressed on her Ate Sophia's name to view her youth leader's message.

It read: First day of school, Ava. I'm praying for you. May His light shine in you and through you!

Ava had to smile. It's just like her to remember. She quickly responded with a simple, Amen, Ate! Excited 2 find out wat He is going 2 do! Muwwwaaahhh!

Sophia came into Ava's life when, out of a rebellious streak against her absentee parents, Ava signed up for piano lessons, which in her father's eyes, was a waste of perfectly good money. Sophia became Ava's music tutor, and through one of the darkest, most difficult moments of Ava's young life, Sophia became her confidant and friend. More than that, it was Sophia who led Ava to the Lord. Ava had a deep sense of admiration toward her leader and she would often acknowledge whenever she testified about her faith how much of an influence Sophia had on her life.

Ava added a heart icon to her message for good measure before sending the message to Sophia. She then checked on Racquel's message. Upon reading the overly ecstatic text message, Ava had to roll her eyes.