Chapter 4

My stomach flip flopped when I heard three knocks on the door. My eyes flashed over to the clock on the microwave. 5:59. I straightened out my shirt before walking to the door. I turned the dead bolt and opened it slowly, feeling my toes slightly curl in my flats. Niall's eyes met mine and a smile inched onto his face. "Hi." His voice was like velvet, I could listen to him talk all day.

"H-hi." I stammered, finding it hard not to only talk, but to think straight.

"You ready to go?" He stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Let me just grab my bag." I turned quickly and retrieved my bag from the counter and met Niall back at the door way. "Let's go." I breathed out with excitement. I locked the door behind me and Niall and I walked down the steps to his car. I let him open the door for me this time and slid in with ease. As he was making his way around, I reached over and unlocked his door and opened it from the inside. He gave me a questionable look as he slid in himself.

"Thanks." Gosh he had the cutest smile I had ever seen. The engine roared to life and the car began to warm up. The radio played some pop song at a low hum, keeping us from sitting in silence. "You look beautiful by the way." Niall snuck a look over at me while we pulled onto a highway.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I grinned over at him. He drove the same way he had the last time I was in the car with him. One hand grasping the wheel and the other on the gear shift. I wanted nothing more than to reach over and place his hand in my own, but I couldn't get my arm to move. I settled for staring at my shoes, the silver tips showing my reflection.

"You're awfully quiet." Niall finally broke the silence. My heart began racing at the sound of his voice.

"Just thinking." I shrugged.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Thinking about where we are going." My eyes wandered over to him. "But I like surprises, so I don't mind not knowing."

"You're not like most girls." He chuckled, the corner of his eyes scrunching up.

"How so?" I challenged.

"Most girls don't like not knowing what's going on. They would whine until they were told where they were going."

"Like I said, I like surprises." I shifted my gaze to outside the window and watched the trees fade into one another. A warm feeling washed over my hand and I looked down to see Niall grab my hand and hold the gear shift with it atop of his own. I smiled and looked up at him smiling to himself. That boy had a smile that could cure cancer, I swear.

We drove in silence for a few miles, but neither of us were bothered by it. It wasn't awkward, where we were both searching for something else to say. It was comfortable, and we let the low hum of the radio keep us from feeling like we needed to keep talking.

"Just a little longer." Niall informed me with a little squeeze of my hand. "We'll be there by sunset."

-----

Niall was right, we had reached the boat docks right before the sun began to melt into the sky. He lead me down the wood pier and onto this tiny boat, holding my hand the whole time. "Do you get sea sick?" He asked before helping me on.

"Not that I know of, I've never been on a boat."

"Fingers crossed that you won't up chuck." He laughed. I rolled my eyes and held onto him for support to get on the boat. Once I pulled myself up Niall went to find the captain of the tiny boat. I traipsed over to the metal railing and leaned against it. The water was calm, and a dark dark blue. Honestly, the ocean always fascinated me. On the surface it was calm and pretty, but once you go deep beneath that surface, you see a whole different kind of beautiful; one you couldn't see with just looking at the surface. I believe the same for people.