chapter 3

Ava had been training me for three days now, and today she was trusting me by myself. Ava told me that because it was the middle of the week, it shouldn't be too busy, and if it got too difficult, to call her or Jessica.

I propped my elbows against the counter and counted the cars that passed by.

3 red cars, 6 black cars, and 1 silver car.

There was one customer that came in before I took my lunch break. He had short brown hair and a cute smile. He asked me what flowers I would suggest to give to a girl that he hadn't known for too long. I told him daisies.

You could never go wrong with daisies.

He gave me a generous tip and disappeared back into the hustle and bustle of London while I went back to counting cars.

7 red cars, 8black cars, 2 silver cars, and 2 white trucks.

At 3pm I decided to take my half hour lunch break. I grabbed some money from my tip jar and ventured down the street to the sandwich shop. I brought my turkey sub back to the shop so it wouldn't be left unattended. I pulled up a stool and ate in silence as we got no more customers that day.

At 8pm I closed the shop, locked the doors, and carelessly traipsed the few blocks home. Something white on my doorstep caused me to jump. I bent down and picked up the flowers I almost ed stepped on.

Daisies.

I unlocked the door with my free hand and pushed it open with my hip. I placed my bag on the counter and stared at the flowers in front of me.

There was an off white note in the center of the bouquet. I took it out and read it out loud.

I hope these flowers are as picture perfect as you are xxx

Despite the sigh that threatening to break out of my lips, I couldn't help but smile a little.

------

"Darling, I'm going to grab some lunch, anything you want?" Ava called to me from the front of the store. I was in the back, making some bouquets of my own for a special order.

"Um, just a burger with bacon would be perfect!" I called back, wrapping the stems in the light blue paper and putting a rubber band around it's

"I'll be back in a few." Ava poked her head in the back.

"I'll hold the fort down."

When ten minutes passed and the store was still vacant, I decided to take care of some serious matters. I picked up the store phone and called my landlord.

"Hello, is this Walter Greens?"

"Yes it is, may I ask who is calling?" My landlord, Walter, grunted into the other line.

"This is Kaylie Johnson from flat 200, I was wondering if there was a way to push back my rent payment for another week and a half. I just got a new job, and ill have the money at the end of next week." I closed my eyes and breathed slowly.

"I'm sorry miss but that's not possible. It was due three days ago."

"I know sir, but-"

"No buts. I need your rent by the end of this week, or else, you're out." He clicked off the phone.

I punched the bridge of my nose and let out a shaky breath. God, what was I going to do?

"Is there something I can do to help you?" I jumped when I heard someone behind me. Slowly turning, I caught a peak of blond hair. It was Niall.

"How long were you standing there?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"The whole conversation." He replied looking at his shoes. We stayed silent for a minute.

"Did you leave those flowers at my flat?" I finally found the courage to say.

"Uh, yeah. One of my friends came in here and had picked them up.." He trailed off. My mouth dropped slightly when I remembered the guy that had asked me about flowers to get a girl.

"Thank you." I looked down to hide my blush.

"Is there something I can do to help?" Niall repeated.

I sighed again, this time dragging it out slightly. "There's nothing to do." I shrugged.

"I can help you with your rent."

"Why? Why do you want to help me?" I squinted and looked up at him. "You don't know me."

"I just want to help you." He stated simply.

"I don't want to owe you anything."

"You won't have to. Please, just let me do it." He looked right into my eyes. "Please."

"Are you going to let me say no?"

"Nope." He grinned.

"Okay. Thank you." A small smile crept up on my lips, but then grew bigger. "I owe you big time."

"Well, you could start by giving me your number." He leaned over the counter with a sly smirk.

"I would," I started, getting off the counter and straightening up before Ava got back, "but I don't have a phone."

He chuckled, expecting me to laugh to. "Oh you were serious?" He attempted to cover it up with a cough.

"It's just another bill I can't afford.." I muttered shrugging my shoulders.

"Well, then how can I get ahold of you?" Niall raised his eye brows. "Because I'd like to see you more."

"Well, maybe we can meet up tomorrow?" I suggested. Honestly, I had no idea what we would be doing, but I just wanted to see more of Niall.

"I'll pick you up around 6?" He straightened his posture and grabbed two business cards from the stack on the counter.

"Sounds like a plan." I smiled at him as he handed me back one of the business cards. On the back, he scribbled down his number along with a little note.

"Bye Kaylie." He smirked at me, slowly backing up to the door.

"Bye Niall." I smiled back. Niall held the door open for Ava as she carried in a brown paper bag seeping with grease. That's how you know it's a good burger.

"Did Niall Horan just walk out of the shop?" She asked, star struck.

"He sure did." I answered in a daze, reading the note on the back of the card. "He sure did."