3 - I Asked For A Treat, But You Tricked Me Instead

Walking down the rustic dorm room halls lined with faded forest green carpeting, neon orange and black flyers were littered along the floor. Sophia scooped one up as she walked; “HALLOWEEN BASH” was printed in large bold letters.

“The best ones are the ones that don’t get advertisement because word of mouth gets the party so huge.” There was a major emphasis on “huge”. “Are we going?” Whitney asked as she pounced on Sophia’s shoulders. The short blonde noticed Sophia’s interest.

Mulling the thought over in her mind, Sophia looked to her friend, “I might be. Are you?”

“You know I am!” Exclaimed Whitney, she had been preoccupied with a guy for the last few weeks. She was going with him. “You should go …and come as a Greek Goddess.”

Sophia raised a brow to her friend’s suggestion. The expression read “Yeah, right.”

“Well, what are you going as?” 

“An American,” Whiney said with pride. The two shared a laugh.

“But you already are one,” Sophia pointed; her smile cocked to one side.

“There is nothing wrong with being proud to show off that red, white, and blue!” Whiney went off on explaining how she had the perfect top and denim cut off shorts with the American flag on the front.

“Do they even celebrate it here, like we do back home?”

Whitney paused for a moment, “Let’s just take it as an excuse to party hardy!”

After being ambushed by several other female peers about going to one of the biggest Halloween parties in town, Sophia found herself cornered into going.

Stretched out on her bed, from head to toe, on the afternoon of Halloween day, Sophia looked up at the ceiling. “Whitney,” She whined; elongating each letter of her friend’s name.

“Click. Click. Click.” The sound of Whitney rhythmically flipping channels with the remote was the only response to Sophia’s cry. Sophia repeated herself; shouting her companion’s name louder and taking more time to enunciate each sound each time. Whitney increased the tv volume but it failed to compete with Sophia’s voice.

“What?” The blonde rolled her eyes as she watched the illuminated television screen.

“I don’t know what to wear,” The whining failed to cease.

“Darlin', I said it before and I’ll say it again. Easiest thing to do is the Greek Goddess thing. All you need are white bed sheets…”

“Isn’t there a toga party next week? I don’t want to wear the same costume twice.”

“True,” Whitney answered mindlessly. She was so preoccupied she failed to comfort her friend her in her situation. Sophia sighed.

“I’m not going then.” Whitney’s ears perked.

“Uh...Yes you are!” She exclaimed.

“Oh now you’re listening.”

Sophia looked at the reflection in the mirror. There she stood in a red and white striped shirt, blue denim cut off shorts, a slouchy red beanie over her straightened dark brown hair, knee high tube socks, and black converse. Her costume was supposed to be Waldo from “Where’s Waldo?”. She tugged at the hem of the shorts.

“Leave it alone,” Whitney  slapped her hands. “You’re gonna snatch a cute English boy tonight.” Sophia rolled her eyes at the remark.

After and hour of waiting in line, Sophia, Whitney, and Whitney’s arm candy finally made it inside. The music blared over the speakers, most of the lights were dimmed, and shadows were cast by candles that were lit in random places around the room. Sophia was immediately separated from her friend in the crowd of people rushing through the door. “Sophia?” Several voices called to her. Whipping her head around, a huddle of girls beckoned her over.