ten

selyse harrison

I rested my head in my hands as I sat in the coffee shop on campus. I had two coffees today but still couldn't manage to stay awake.

Since sleeping in Jack's bed, I've found myself staying up later than usual. We stayed up late just talking about the most random things. Mostly about me and my life growing up, but we also talked about him and the things he likes to do. And during one of our conversations, for the first time since my father's death, I laughed. It wasn't a small laugh but instead one that had me in tears. That's when I realized Jack could be a tolerable person once he got rid of his stubborn exterior. Laying in bed and talking to him has quickly become my favourite part of the day.

I smiled when Gabby got settled at the seat across from me. Her usually curly hair was now straight and up in a high ponytail, showing the scar that rested at her neck.

"How are you?" Gabby questioned and I wish I could be honest. Some days I want to scream to the world about how conflicted I am about my feelings. I want to accept the future my father signed for me. Especially because I've taken a liking for Jack. But I often remind myself how regardless of the things Jack does for me, I never wanted this. This isn't the future I had planned for myself and I want to leave him.

"Good," I gave her the complete opposite of how I actually felt. The main thing Jack told me was if I want to attend school, I can't open up about my private life to anyone. Bringing a group of people to his home was already enough. "How're you?"

She stared down at her mug in front of her, going through the same internal battle I was. I wondered what she was thinking about and why she felt like she couldn't open up.

"Good," she slowly nodded and I wasn't going to argue with her answer.

"I have to pee. Do you want to join me?" I glanced to the guards who sat at the table beside us. At first she stared at me confused then gave me an understanding expression.

"Yes I will," she took a thick envelope from her bag and shoved it into her pocket. We didn't have to worry about our belongings since Kent and Davies would stay seated, so we went to the restroom and left our things behind.

Once we got inside, I quickly locked it. She didn't immediately jump into questions, but I know she was thinking them. But my heart was racing, wondering whether I could trust her. I'm going mad not having at least one person to confide in that doesn't work for Jack. But I know the type of man Jack is and what if me telling her causes him trouble? So I decided I would only tell a version of the truth.

"Did you get it?" I asked her. She pulled the envelope from her pocket and pulled out a passport. I opened it up, being shocked at how real it looked. It had a photo of me which she took in the school library. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was real, except it had a fake name. Rachel York.

"My boyfriend knew people who could get it done" she added and I smiled at her, pulling the money. This passport wasn't coming cheap—$6000–and it took a while for me to think of a lie to tell Jack. In the grand scheme of things, six grand isn't a lot of money for something like himself.

I was seated on the couch picking at my nails while I thought of a reasonable lie. It's not like I could say I needed to money for tuition because my tuition was paid in full. In the end, I forced myself to get off the couch and walked to his home office. I stood by the door watching him while I continued to think.

"Are you going to keep standing there like a weirdo or come inside?" Jack kept his eyes on his laptop, running his fingers along his stubble. I gulped, getting seated on the sofa in the room. When I didn't say anything, he looked up at me. "Selyse."