07.07.18

WENDY

During the plane ride, I recall the talk I had with my parents last year:

Sitting on the couch in the living room, I ask them to lend some of their time to me. "I have something to tell you," I say. "What is it?" they reply in unison. 

"After I get my Biology degree, I want to become a singer instead of a dentist."

My father scowls at that statement. "Why are you wasting your education?"

"I like the subject, but dentistry isn't my dream."

"Then, pursue something else in the healthcare field!" he shouts. "Calm down, honey," my mother orders as she rubs his back. 

"I want to sing; I want to become a K-pop idol."

"Is that what you really want, Wendy?" my mother questions.

I nod vehemently. "Yes, Mom. I want to stay in Korea and be a soloist."

My father shakes his head. "Absolutely not!"

Immediately, I kneel on the floor and clasp my palms together. "Please let me audition first. If an agency accepts me and I debut, then I can become a singer. However, if something goes awry and I fail the audition or quit being a singer, I will go to graduate school. I will apply to dental school since I would have already completed my prerequisites during undergrad," I implore.

With furrowed eyebrows and crossed arms, he remains quiet but considers my plan. I need to convince him somehow. 

"If anything, joining the K-pop industry as a singer will make me stand out as a candidate for dental school. It's a unique experience that will intrigue the admissions board," I include.

Seunghee walks into the living room and adds, "She's right, Dad. They look for well-rounded prospects. Aside from a high GPA, high dental test score, shadowing experience, volunteer experience, and poignant personal statements, they want to see something else that sets her apart from other applicants."

My father presses his lips into a thin line. "Okay, Wendy. Go become a singer! But if you're unsuccessful, return to dentistry. As much as I want to hear your songs on the radio, I would rather go to your clinic located here."

"You have our full support, Wendy! I can't believe our family will have a potential singer or dentist," my mother shares. 

"I'm excited to tell everyone that my sister's a singer!" Seunghee exclaims. 

Gleefully, I wrap my arms around my father. "Thank you," I breathe out. I then hug my mother followed by my sister. 

"I was waiting for the day you acknowledge your passion for singing," she says. 

"This is all thanks to you. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone to karaoke," I reveal. 

I am so thankful for my family. They want the best for me. Although my father was against me singing, he approved of it in the end. 

The plane is about to land. Soon, I'll meet Mark and notify him of the news. 

♫♫♫