07.07.16

WENDY

I always love flying back home because of my homesickness, but getting to see Mark makes it extra worthwhile. Even though I'm boarding the plane alone again, I've gotten used to it. The plane ride isn't that unbearable since I have something to look forward to. Besides, I have GOT7's songs to keep me company. 

I wonder if Mark told his members about me. Our annual plan is quite strange. It's not exactly a date, but it feels more than just two friends hanging out. We're in the in-between. As in, we're more than friends. Or maybe it's completely one-sided. Who knows? I can't wait to see him! For our third visit, we have a lot to catch up on. 

I should probably tell Seulgi about our time spent together, but, for some reason, I want to keep Mark a secret. I'll let her know when the time is right. To ease my guilt, I'm going to ask Mark for Jaebum's autograph. He can hand it to me next year—if he remembers. He probably will. I have full faith in him since he remembered to meet me last year.

♫♫♫

These plane rides are starting to feel shorter. I'm already at the airport waiting for my family. You know the drill by now. We head home and I'm counting down the hours until I can go to the karaoke place. Dinner rolls around and I masticate my food. 

♫♫♫

I'm off to sing now! I feel so comfortable in the karaoke room. The microphone fits perfectly in my hand. The lights are turned off, and it's just me gripping the mic while looking at the lyrics on the screen. 

To kick off my singing session, I sing "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber. On the topic of love, I sing "Love" by Keyshia Cole—an absolutely timeless song! I put my soul into the heartfelt lyrics. When I hear clapping, I know it's Mark. I move my body toward his and bow. 

"Fancy meeting you here, Mark," I chirp sarcastically.

MARK

I arrive at the karaoke place just in time because I hear Wendy's voice booming. R&B is totally her genre. 

After the song is over, I clap. By now, she should know it's me, and she does because she bows and greets me. 

"It's not like we scheduled to meet on July 7 or anything," I answer in the same sarcastic tone. 

She chortles and invites me to sit on the couch. "A year flew by quickly, and GOT7 is rising in popularity. Has there been anything fun going on?"

I freeze. I did not anticipate her asking any personal questions, so I'm not sure how to break the news to her. 

"I'm seeing someone now," I reveal. 

Her smile stays still, but it seems forced. She stares at me in confusion. "Who?" she asks.

"Her name is Rosé. She's set to debut in the group BLACKPINK under YG Entertainment," I explain.

Her smile falters, and I feel terrible. I did not intend on dating someone. Anyhow, things happened to turn out this way. 

"Is the three-year dating ban gone now?" she questions.

I shake my head. "I'm breaking that rule. No one has found out yet, so I'm hoping you could keep it a secret."

She places her pointer finger and thumb together, fanning the remaining three fingers out. Then, she drags that hand across her mouth, as if she's sealing her lips. "Your secret is safe with me. I heard YG has a strict dating policy as well. I wouldn't want to endanger her career."

I don't know much about her, but I believe that she won't tell anyone. 

"I'm happy for you two. Idols deserve to date," she adds. It sounds bittersweet coming from her. I'm not sure how she's feeling; her expression is unreadable. On the outside, it looks like happiness. But on the inside, it looks like sadness. 

"Speaking of idols, can I get Jaebum's autograph?" she requests.

I tilt my head and furrow my eyebrows. Why does she want Jaebum's signature and not mine? Am I not her bias?

"Who is it for?" I inquire. 

"Me," she says bluntly.

I can't tell if that's a lie. "I thought I was your bias."

"Jaebum is my bias now."

"Why?"

"Well, he's single. It feels wrong to have you as my bias when you're taken."

I'm perplexed as ever. "I don't follow, Wendy." 

"Don't worry! You can be my bias wrecker," she reasons.

"I've been downgraded to bias wrecker? I demand a recall. What made you change your mind so suddenly?"

"I've been listening to 'Just Right,' 'If You Do,' and 'Fly,' and I love Jaebum's voice."

I pout. "More than mine?" 

She changes the subject. "I think my favorite comeback is 'If You Do.'" She proceeds to sing, "Every day, every night, feel like a fool. You gotta know." 

"I thought it would be 'Fly,' considering you have to fly out here frequently." 

"Good point, but nothing beats that pre-hook."

"It is catchy," I agree. 

"I'm gonna fly," she sings, in the same way as the "We're gonna fly" lyric in 'Fly." She exits the room, and I watch her leave. This year's visit was brief. Feeling unsatisfied, I grab my phone from my jean pocket to enter a reminder for next year. I enter another reminder to bring Jaebum's autograph.