Chapter 8 - Level Two

Steve tried to force happiness but Jez saw through it. They had a lot of fun training and between Bruce and Steve she learned a lot. Now she was sitting through an exam. Her hand flew across the page as she circled each of the answers. Steve sat beside her with his hand rested on the small of her back.

Jez finished the test and Bruce took it. He quickly scanned it and handed it back.

“Was there anything you didn’t understand?” he asked.

“No,” Jez replied. “It was easy. I was interested on question twelve but I wasn’t stumped. Can I talk to you alone?”

Steve raised an eyebrow but stood and left anyway. Jez felt bad. Steve was nothing but polite, gentlemanly and loving towards her. That was why she couldn’t lose him.

“What can we do?” she asked not needing to explain further.

“I can check it out,” Bruce said. “I can check his blood but I wouldn’t put anything else into him. It could have a bad reaction. The best we can do is hope that he didn’t age in that ice for a reason.”

“I love him so much Bruce,” Jez sighed. “We haven’t even had twenty four hours together and already there are more complications. Is it always like this for us? Is everything a complication?”

“Honestly,” Bruce said. “Yeah, it’s hard being us. We’re expected to always do what’s best for others. Life is too short to not do well but it’s too damn long to go it alone. Sometimes we have to put ourselves first. My advice is to keep Steve. Don’t let him slip away because of this minor detail. Now we have to go to level two.”

Jez followed Bruce outside but Steve was gone. Jez felt her heart drop when he wasn’t there to see her try level two either. Jez stood in the mirror room and face where everyone would be watching. Nothing was happening. She almost took a step forward when she noticed the floor was in boxes. Chess pieces rose from the ground. Jez realised that she had to play the chess.

Jez concentrated and leaped into the air the way Bruce had thought her. She examined the giant chess board and moved her first piece. The room moved a piece by itself. The giant pieces were heavy but Jez was able for it. Jez could feel herself sweat from both the energy she was using and the stress of the thought that had to go into it. There were moments when she really thought that she was going to lose and there were moments when she got a little over confident. Nobody’s perfect, right?

The game was coming to an end when Jez made a vital mistake. She realised it as soon as she made it. She lost so much concentration that she almost dropped to the floor. Jez examined the board for the hundredth time as she lounged mid air with her legs crossed beneath her like a genie. She pictured the board before the game started.

“That’s it!” Jez gasped. At the start of the game Jez was missing a queen. Jez was supposed to play as the queen. Not every hero can fly so of course the levels had to cater to them too. Jez didn’t really see why chess was significant but she landed on the queen’s space. The pieces vanished into the ground again. Jez turned around confused.

“That’s all Jezebel,” Fury’s voice said. The door opened and Jez exited.

“What happened?” Jez asked. Bruce frowned at the floor. Fury seemed slightly angry.

“You failed Jezebel,” Fury said. “The task was to see if you could see the obvious. You needed to be a piece. That was all.”

Jezebel’s jaw dropped open. That was it? How unfair was that? Jez took a deep breath and look for Steve. He wasn’t there. Bruce shrugged. Jez could feel tears coming. She had a rule about not crying in front of people so she strolled out of the room while unclipping her cuffs.

When she finally reached her room she collapsed onto her bed in tears. She was a failure of a superhero, a crazy man and his team were trying to kill her, Steve had left and she couldn’t do anything. She lay there for a couple of hours just trying to figure things out. There was a light knock on her door and Jez sat up. Steve stuck his head around the door.

“I heard,” he said. “I’m so sorry sweetheart. I should have been here.”

“No,” Jez said. “I’d rather you didn’t see me failing.”

Steve crawled onto the bed beside her and wrapped his arms tightly around her.

“Jez,” he said. “I want to learn all about the new world with you. Ever after a few days I’m starting to speak like a modern man. I need you and to prove it I’m taking you out, kind of.”

“I can’t,” Jez said. “I have dinner with Fury. I’m sorry Steve. I really want to. Actually I’m not in the mood to see Fury tonight so I’m going.”

“Let’s go!” Steve said jumping up and taking her hand.

“I’m in my suit,” Jez laughed. She was already feeling better.

“Just come on,” he said. They snuck out without being seen and hijacked a jet.

“WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE GOING?” Fury yelled through the radio.

“Out,” Jez said and unplugged it.

Jez looked around. She was in Brooklyn. The stars were shining bright tonight and it was a full moon. It was actually quite romantic as she walked along with Steve hand in hand.

“This is it,” Steve said. It looked like an average apartment to Jez but she shrugged it off and followed Steve inside. The inside looked like Jez had travelled back in time.

“It’s your apartment,” Jez realised. Steve nodded and gestured to the table.

Jez sat. The table was perfectly laid out with flowers and all. She noticed the compass with the picture of the girl on a shelf. The girl was very pretty. Jez felt a pang of jealousy as she realised that that must be Peggy Carter.

Steve pressed play on a CD player. It was very modern compare to the rest of the place. The Script played and Jez laughed.

“Going Irish?” she asked. “Feels like home.”

“Just for you,” Steve said and brought over the food.

“So this is where you were,” Jez said and they dug in. Jez felt uncomfortable eating in front of people. She always had but she almost forgot with Steve.

“Care to dance?” Steve asked when they were finished. He held out his hand and Jez stood. He pulled her close and they swayed around slowly.

“Steve this is so amazing,” Jez said. “It’s so un-normally normal. I love it.”

“And I love you,” Steve said as he rested his forehead on hers. “You’re the love of my life Peggy.”

They both stopped as they noticed Steve’s mistake. Jez felt like she was drowning. She pulled away from Steve who was watching her.

“Jez I’m so sorry,” he said. “Please.”

“I just need some air,” she assured. “It’s okay. I’ll be right back.”

“I’m sorry,” Steve called as she closed the door behind her.

The night’s air was cold. There was a weird chill in the air and Jez felt strange. I was as if she knew she wasn’t safe. It was like Spiderman’s spidey senses. Jez looked around in the darkness. It took a few moments for her to spot the man on the roof behind her. It was the Huntsman.

Hey everyone :) Please vote, fan, comment and recommend. I'd appreciate it. Thanks to everyon who already has. I'm new on here and this is the best any of my stories have done so thanks!! I hope you enjoyed it and will enjoy the rest xoxo