Chapter 4 - Powerups

“Go ahead,” Jez said. She felt a little nervous now. She had been told about Spiderman. It had been in the letter that she had read earlier. Fury had quoted Spiderman’s uncle Ben. He said ‘with great power comes great responsibility’.

“Well Jezebel there is the obvious increase in your usual abilities like strength, speed, hearing and all of those,” another man began. “We have been updated on your ability to fly.”

“The reason we believe that you’re so powerful is because we can’t tell you what your powers are,” the original scientist said. “We’ve tried our best but it looks like you’re going to have to learn your powers for yourself. The only way we could speed it up is by putting you through tasks.”

Jez sighed. Of course there would be complications. This whole situation was complicated. She made a mental note to thank her mother for teaching her all about heroes. Knowing a lot already really helped.

“So when can I do level two?” she asked looking around for an answer.

“In about a week,” Coulson answered.

“A week!” Jez shouted in shock. “Why a week?”

“Jez there are only five levels and each is reasonably harder,” Fury explained. “After level two you’re almost halfway. We think that you should train first. Cap here will help and Iron Man volunteered to help too. We have a great team here to help you.”

Jez nodded reluctantly. They were right of course but she was sick of waiting for things. She then realised something.

“What am I supposed to do when I’m not training?” she asked. “Am I allowed a different job or are you all going to pay me to be myself?”

“You can do whatever you want,” Maria said. “That is as long as you have at least two S.H.I.E.L.D agents with you at all times when you’re not here.”

“When do I start?” Jez asked and she was handed a timetable.

“This will be your life for the next week or two,” the woman who handed it to her said. Jez examined it. There was training every day for four hours, meals, free time, sleeping and time for weapon and suit choosing.

“We do know one thing about your blood,” the woman said. “It is extremely similar to the blue jay.”

“The bird?” Jez asked and raised an eyebrow. All the time Steve had been watching her. He felt better in her presence. He wasn’t sure if it was in a friendly way or if it was something more. She was younger than him of course but even Steve wasn’t too sure what age he was supposed to be. He was twenty two when he was frozen. Did that count as his age?

“What do you think Steve?” Jez asked bringing Steve back to the real world.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “What was the question?”

“I was saying that since I have blue jay blood and I can fly and my name starts with J and my favourite colour is blue wouldn’t BlueJay be a perfect name?”

“I like it,” Steve replied with a friendly smile.

“Well that’s that then,” Fury said. “Everyone knows what they have to do so clear out.”

There was a moment of fumbling as everyone left the room. Jez was left alone and she liked it. It felt like everywhere she went eyes were always on her. She contemplated what to do next and decided to go outside and practise her powers and see if she could learn anything new.

The second she was outside she felt better. The cool air filled her lungs and new found strength burned in her limbs. She concentrated hard and gathered everything she had.

“I can do this,” Nick said. Jez turned to find him but she was alone. “Hello?” Steve called. Jez swerved again but she was still alone. She realised that the words were coming from her mouth but in their voices. Excitement filled up in Jez. She concentrated on Stark’s voice.

“Hi I’m Iron Man but you already know that rookie,” she said in an exact replica of Tony’s voice. It was as if it was a recording. Jez whipped out her phone and googled blue jays. It read ‘The blue jays "Jay! Jay!" call is only one of a wide variety of sounds the bird employs—including excellent imitations of bird calls.’

“I’m really am a human BlueJay,” Jez said in her own voice. She read on carefully. Blue jays are highly intelligent, sociable and obviously they can fly. “Time to take a test.”

“A test?” the real Steve asked this time. Jez turned to him not taking her eyes off the phone.

“Ask me anything!” she said. “Something really hard.”

“Why don’t boats sink?” Steve asked shrugging.

The answer came to Jez instantly. She smiled and changed her voice to Steve’s.

“Most of the volume of a boat is air. So the average density is less than water, so they just displace water. Their weight (downward force) is opposed by an upward force from the water. Boats can be made from very heavy materials such as steel or concrete, just so long as there's plenty of air. If you add weight (cargo) the boat sits lower in the water. It displaces more water. "Displacement" is the normal way we refer to the size of the ship. It’s in tonnes (of water), for example, 10,000 tonnes. This means it occupies a volume of about 10,000 cubic meters of the sea. The draught might be, say, 5 meters deep, so the area would be around 2,000 square meters, for example, about 28 x 70m.”

Steve’s jaw dropped. Jez laughed and flung her arms around Steve’s neck.

“My powers,” she said. “I can fly, imitate voices and I’m a genius.”

“And that might not be all Jez,” Steve added not letting go of her waist. They stood like that just staring at each other for a split second before Jez pulled away giggling awkwardly.

“Want to come tell Fury with me?” Jez asked swaying on the spot. It was clear that she couldn’t stand still with excitement. Steve grinned at Jez. He liked her a lot.

“It’s getting kind of late,” Steve said. “Why don’t we get some food and go to bed. You’ll still have your powers tomorrow.”

It wasn’t until he said it that Jez realised how tired and hungry she was. The day had flew and she did waste a lot of time wandering around the helicarrier.

“I agree,” Jez said and they returned inside.

“What do you think is the coolest power?” Steve asked.

“Having powers in the first place is amazing.”

“Jez,” Steve said nervously. “I was wondering if tomorrow you wanted to go around New York. You haven’t seen it yet and I’d love to-“

He was cut off by Jezebel’s phone. It was Tony Stark. Jez raised an eyebrow. How had he gotten her number?

“Hello?” she answered.

“So you’re the BlueJay?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Jez replied. “Cool, huh?”

“Sure,” Tony joked. “Do you want to meet up tomorrow? I’m in New York anyway so why don’t we have some fun?”

Steve felt anger rise up in him. Stark was always there to ruin his chance,

“Sure,” Jez continued. “Steve and I are going anyway too. What time?”

“Three?” Tony asked.

“See you then,” Jez replied and hung up. She realised she had forgotten to ask where he got her number.

They were now at their bedroom doors. Jez went to open hers but now Steve called her back.

“Jez,” he started to say but stopped. “Sleep well.” He noticed Jez looked disappointed but he had chickened out at the last minute. What was he going to say? I think I love you but I’m not sure. That didn’t make sense. He closed his door behind him and moaned. He hadn’t felt like this since Peggy. Things were much easier back then.

Thanks for reading and I hope you like it :) Please fan, comment, vote and recommend <3 xoxo