Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

"Julia!" a small pair of hands shook me awake, "Julia! Look at this!"

Wendy. It was Wendy shaking me awake, I realized.

Wendy was the little girl I found hiding in a bush in a park--in God knows where.

She was nine, and all alone. So I took her in. Although, I myself, was only fifteen--and all alone, too.

That was a year ago.

I forced my eyes open, trying to adjust to the light seeping in the blinds covering the windows of our tiny, crappy, apartment.

"What?" I rubbed my eyes.

"Look!" the small girl insisted.

In her small hand, was a ball of fire.

I quickly threw her over my shoulder and threw her hand under the kitchen sinks faucet.

"No, Julia! No!" she pulled her hand away. "Watch me!" she dried her hand and flicked her fingers, another flame appearing.

I stared in wonder at her hand.

"Julia! Look!" she pointed at the mirror behind me.

The back of my tank top bulged, moving a little. I took it off, and stared at the mirror.

Little wings unfolded, growing slightly bigger with each passing second.

"Wings! You have wings!" Wendy jumped up and down, excitedly.

I reached back to touch my...wings.

The downy feathers were soft--like Wendy's fine blond hair, after I brushed it.

"Wendy...go find a belt..."

"A belt? Why?"

"Just go, Wen..."

After a few minutes, the little girl came back with a belt. "Jules...what are you doing?"

I tied the belt around my ribs--it made it slightly hard to breathe, but I would just have to deal.

Securing the belt, I looked in the mirror again. My wings were tied down and twitching to get free, but the belt wouldn't allow them to.

I slipped my tank top back on. "Wendy, we need to go to the store. But you cannot--look at me, Wen--canNOT do anything with the...fire."

"Okay, Jules. I promise I won't."

"Good girl," I kissed her forehead, "c'mon, let's go!"

-----

"Can we get some poptarts, Jules? I promise I won't eat them all at once!" I looked at Wendy, holding a box of wild cherry poptarts, her bottom lip sticking out.

Although I only had a twenty, I threw them in the cart anyway. Wendy deserved them.

"Thank you," she gave me a hug and I smiled down at her.

We kept moving down the aisle, picking up our necessary items.

"Wen, will you get the milk?" I asked her, standing outside the coolers.

"Sure," she bent down to get the two-percent milk.

"Here you--" the plastic carton melted and milk splashed all over the aisle. She dropped what was remaining of the carton as a burst of fire exploded from her hands.

"Wendy!" I turned around and her a huge ripping sound and a loud pop.

I watched my tank top fall in the spilled milk, and the belt go with it. Leaving me standing in the middle of the store in just my bra (talk about awkward!).

My wings, now almost full grown, expanded and knocked things off the shelves.

"Julia! Your wings!" Wendy pointed, and fire shot out of her finger tip, singeing the tip of my left wing.

People started screaming, all at once.

I dropped everything, and grabbed Wendy.

Before I knew it, my feet were lifted off the ground.

"Jules! You're flying!" Wendy shouted.

My wings beat the air, and we went up, crashing through the ceiling of the supermarket.

As I looked down, people pointed up, screaming.

'It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's just some freak with wings!'

Haha, right.

Police cars sped into the parking lot, swerving to avoid people.

"Jules...what's happening?!"

"I don't know, Wen...We're going home and leaving."

"Where will we go?"

I didn't answer, because I didn't even know.