Chapter 1

Roselyn Bell

"Here. Sort these." Chloe dumped a stack of paper on my desk harshly. Fine, I agree it was my fault but I can't always be at fault.

I didn't say anything but did as she had asked me. Chloe and I are best of friends. We met in the middle school and quickly gelled together. Maybe we were the perfect opposites with a few common interests. But after last night's nasty fight I don't think I can say the same. I am sure everything will be back to normal but right now I need to sort these. Working in a hotel can't be easy, you have to make sure each and every guest is happy but when something goes wrong no matter whoevers fault it was, the consequences have to be suffered by the employees. That's the worst thing about the corporate world. Anyways, they pay you well and I can't really complain when I need this job more than anything. Of course when you don't get any financial support from your family and you have loans to pay you cannot afford to complain.

I pushed all my thoughts away and started going through the papers. It was half past twelve which meant it was my lunch break. I walked towards Chloe's desk but she wasn't there. I went to the cafeteria and saw her sitting alone in a corner. I quickly bought my lunch and went towards her table and sat. She was as usual having her salad. Argh.

"Fine. I'll get them today" I said while digging on my chicken. It was really getting a lot and I was not liking it even a bit.

"No that's not the point. How can you even forget and of course you will be getting them today", she said.

"You could have reminded me, right?"

"Yes I could have but I didn't. Just because of you my whole schedule got ruined" she said not even looking at me.

"Chloe look listen. Just because a bastard left you because of your figure doesn't mean that you will change yourself. Accept what you are. And I can't see any problem with you" I said. She was not fat she was just like me all thin and skinny. But one thing that she has and not me, is her curves. I don't know why she has to do this stupid diet.

"Rose everyone isn't like you. You eat all the wrong things still you are always like this - all thin and skinny" she said while taking a bite of her salad.

"Fine if it really means that much to you then I won't say anything", I finally gave up.

"Good fine let's cut it out", she said with a smile.

"Of course." I rolled my eyes.

"But don't forget to get the groceries today", she said.

"Today? Come on Chloe it will take me at least 3 hours and it's a weekday by the way" I said.

"No excuses you will have to go and I am not eating pizza for dinner one more time" she said while narrowing her eyes.

"Fine I will get them but I am taking the car so you take a cab" I said.

"No problem" she said with a smile.

It was really weird that we didn't even argue this time and that's the best thing about us, I guess.

"Okay I am done. I am going back" she said and took her tray with her. I ate my lunch in utter silence I was kind of relieved that we were not fighting anymore. I disposed my tray and then went to continue my work.
____________________________________

I stretched my arms. Finally this day was over. I then realised that I had to go for grocery shopping. Argh. I can't procrastinate it now, now can I. I packed everything and took the car keys from Chloe.