Ch. 12

Xavier exits Cerebro in an uneasy state. For weeks he's been attempting to pinpoint the whereabouts of the Brotherhood, their presence always obscured by an untraceable source of telepathic interference. Finally tonight he found a small group on the move in Virginia where a university had recently released the results of a controversial study into mutant genetics. Knowing it's not something the brethren will take lightly, Xavier has no doubt his team will intercept them before trouble breaks out. That is not the cause of his anxiety.

The Brotherhood are growing. Even a quiet girl could tell him that, and did he not already know? Who else but he knows the power of sage persuasion in a man such as Erik Lensherr?

Charles always knew Erik could rally, Erik had the gift. Masses could follow him, mutants lead out of the dark and into the accepted folds of society. Yet, he chose the only model he knew for a leader, a model that had corrupted him body and soul in ways he could not see. Xavier should have seen it at least, seen the rot growing in angry, fetid coils inside his friend. Even now, he still believes there is a way to save him; yes, there has to be. No man should be made that gifted, thatpassionate, only to use himself as a vehicle for destruction and disorder. 

---

"Well, there was never much to me and my dad, you already know." Vince is tapping his pen against the tabletop. "And mom, well, there was less going on with mom."

"Was she hard on you?"

"No, no, that would've meant noticing I existed." He shrugs, hasty to get off the subject. "Eh, she'd just drink when she was around. I was the only person living in that house most of the time. Well, 'cept for my sister."

"You have a sister?"

"Half, she's not my dad's. No, CPS took her away when I was eleven. She was...four? I don't think she remembers me. I wasn't a good brother anyway."

It's less than a week until school starts again, and having run out of ways to amuse ourselves, we're playing Squares to kill time until dinner. The lonely sheet of paper between us has a small rash of geometric fragments invading one corner.

"So," he asks wearily, "what about you, what are your parents like?"

"They're all right."

He stops tapping his pen and observes me carefully.

"Yes, I lied."

He starts tapping again. "They aren't as bad as mine at least?"

There are too many ears in the room. I dig my pencil into the notepad. "You know when the Professor talks in your head? You think you could do that?"

He bites his cheek and gives me a silent no. "Could you? Maybe you'll hear me."

Plausible. I try to concentrate the way Xavier does. Vince blinks in confusion then looks straight at me with a sort of bemused expression on his face.

"It worked?" I ask.

I think so, he thinks.

It sounds distant and foggy as the static between us crackles quietly. A tremble of delight goes up my spine and he ducks his head in subdued excitement. So, your parents?

Mentally I stutter. Xavier's is a strange ability and it's not cooperating with me.

What? He furrows his brows. I can't hear you.

I let down my guard a little so he might hear what I'm thinking instead. I've never had parents.

Oh. But, someone raised you, right?