Ch. 3

At my request they assign me a small bedroom of my own on the third floor instead of a shared dorm. Logan leaves to get me some basic toiletries as I empty the meager contents of my satchel onto the bed.

With a month already gone out of the school year some maneuvering was required to get me into classes. They had me take some academic tests in which I understood most of what was being asked of me. I told them I'm fourteen, and according to that affidavit and the test results I'm apparently a 'sophomore.'

Logan returns with a toothbrush and other essentials. "Hey, back there, I wasn't trying to turn you over to the psychics, alright? They aren't trying to get in your head all the time."

From my understanding, they don't always have a choice.

"So, what were they having such a riot about?"

"I didn't anticipate---" I grimace.

Logan raises one brow.

"You didn't tell me there were psychics here. I would never have come had I known."

"Will you leave now that you do know?"

Leave, leave, leave. "No. Not if you want me to stay."

"I do." He leans back against the dresser and crosses his arms. "We both know you need this place."

I observe his features and stance. "Is it your healing ability that's kept you from aging?"

"Sure." He's about to ask something, but apparently decides against it. "Dinner's starting. I'll walk you."

I tuck my hands between my knees. "May I decline?"

"You're not skipping dinner, you just got here."

"I'm just more tired than I am hungry right now."

He sighs through his nose, observing me in return. "I'll bring you a plate."

As soon as he's gone I shove all my old things into the bottom drawer of the dresser and collapse onto the bed. A whiff of detergent and dust floats upward. There's one window with a plain blue curtain, and a neat little desk with a lamp. The room is warm with sunlight, and my eyelids flutter until the ceiling becomes blurry. This place will do for now.

Ancient computers sit stolidly in their rows, staring intently at the chair placed in front of them.

"We need to put you in the system before you can start," says Mr. Summers as he leads me to an unassigned set of monitors. "Here, Kitty will help you."

He waves over a smiling brunette in a bright t-shirt before going to help another student. Kitty holds out her hand. "Hi. You new to the school, or just the class?"

"Um, both," I shake her hand. "I'm Ace."

"Nice to meet you." She sits down. "That's your second name, right?"

"Sure."

"Awesome. So, what can you do?" Then rather hastily, "If you don't mind my asking."

It's disconcerting to have this many people interested in me. "Several things," I answer politely. Thinking I sound arrogant, I add, "But I only copied them."