Ch. 10

In the hallway, Rogue chastises Bobby's ineptitude at setting off fireworks as she leaves multiple kisses on his undamaged cheek. Every now and then her touch causes him to twitch, but he's enjoying it nonetheless.

"Professor," I step up beside his chair, "if you knew it was Pyro, why did you call me in?"

"I didn't know it was him, I merely suspected it," he replies. "I needed you to confirm whether or not I was correct."

"Oh. I'm sorry then."

"So am I." The skin tightens over his cheekbones, but the tension is passing. "Tell me, in your private studies how much have you found concerning a subversive group known as the Brotherhood?"

"They advocate mutant supremacy, but they're small- the news rarely has anything to say about them. Am I correct in assuming John Allerdyce is a member?"

"You are, unfortunately."

"Do they have trouble with us?" It would seem unlikely what with it being a pro-mutant institution.

"Their leader and I are, or rather were," he says with a disheartened sigh, "good friends. We created this place. So, to answer your question, yes, he has trouble with me. But it's nothing for you to be concerned with, Ace, really. This was just a petty rivalry between the two young men."

I recall the chess set in Xavier's office. "How much trouble will Bobby be in for taking the blame? It was partially my fault, he was doing it to please me, and I should've warned someone the instant I noticed something was off."

"The blame isn't on him. He wants it kept from Rogue, let him." Xavier nods down the hallway. "Now, go find Sonus- Oh, and keep him as far away from the dance as possible. A certain girl's beau is on the lookout for him."

Matt is already waiting for me in the lounge with a stack of DVD's, arguing loudly with four other boys over what to watch. I grab a random film and stuff it in the player. Before the movie's half over, one of the boys falls asleep, and I find a Red Vine between the couch cushions. A rising chant of encouragement echoes around me as I gently place the dusty candy above the victim's upper lip. It lays there like a long, greasy red mustache as the boys applaud.

"No one's said anything yet."

I swivel around.

"It's coming and the longer—we've already gotten—lawsuits—"

"They're out there- how are we supposed to stop—"

Exiting the lounge, I tilt my head, so I can better hear what's going on upstairs.

"This isn't a debate, Logan."

"No shit. Did you even see what he did to our kids?"

"Well, that'll help the school's image." Summers sounds sarcastic. "You losing your temper over—"

"Both of you knock it off," snaps Jean, her tone uncharacteristically sharp.

"Logan, Scott," commands the Professor in an equally upsetting tone, "we are all fully aware of the threat posed here—"

The sound of an explosion on the TV makes me jump.

With the school year at an end students who are returning home are supposed to be packed up and ready to leave by a set date. Matt, however, seems to need my help in doing it for him.

"Don't you have a roommate who's supposed to help you?" I say, following him to his bedroom regardless.

Matt just snorts. "My ride's supposed to be here at five thirty. If it has to wait, Dad threatens to give my Cali tickets to a hobo."