O1

g w e n

I slip an arm inside the sleeve of my black leather coat and did the same on the other, it's 3 in the afternoon and it's pouring real hard. I have always loved rain, but the rain that is pouring right infront of me is not the type of rain I have always loved. Not too hard, not too soft - just average. I usually leave for work at 5, but my boss, Gwyneth - let go of us earlier due to the hard rain, we were informed that there would be a very strong storm coming and it would be better if we leave sooner - or else we would be stranded.

The struggle of putting on my rain boots are real, it's really difficult and uneasy for me. I groaned in annoyance while I tugged on the ends of the boot and pull on it - making my foot slip inside completely.

"Do you want a ride, Gwen?" A thick British accent of a woman asked behind me, I smiled to myself before turning around and faced the owner of the wonderful voice.

"Thank you for the offer, Gwyneth. But I brought my car with me earlier this morning," I smiled at her before I pushed my hair back into a pony tail, leaving a few strands of my hair hanging on both sides of my face.

"Oh, well then. Let's walk to the lot together then," a giggle escaped her lips when she noticed that said then twice. I let out a low chuckle and shook my head - taking my tall umbrella that leant against the wall.

Gwyneth and I both exited the store and walked under our umbrellas in comfortable silence, none of us said a word to eachother knowing that we would not hear eachother clearly due to the loud rain.

"I will see ya later, lady." Gwyneth said loudly but I was able to hear, I nodded my head and waved a hand to her before she turned around completely and faced the direction where she parked her car.

I continued to walk into the direction of the slot where my car is currently parked at and noticed a guy in a red-hooded sweater. I furrowed both of my eyebrows and slew down the speed of my feet.

He sat down alone in the bench under the rain with the hoodie of his red jacket covering his head. His face burying on both palms of his hands is a very depressing sight. I knew that there might be something wrong with him as I noticed how low his shoulders slumped down.

I stood under the rain as I took in the sight, he uncovered his face with his hands and removed the hoodie of his sweater. Everything seemed so clear to me, his matte brown hair was soaked in rain, his red sweater drenched in every part including his jeans. How can one look so depressing as this? I wish I can just read his mind at the moment so that I would know what is going on in that wonderful mind, he looked so broken. The back of his hand slowly wiped under his eyes, he is either wiping the raindrops.. or his tears..

I stood still, not changing the fair distance between us. I am really eager to walk up to him, hold my umbrella above him - even if he's already soaking - and cover his cold and shaking body. I noticed how tired his face looked like, the paleness of his face made a wonderful contrast with the color of his plump lips. He looked so fragile, and I have already guessed that somebody might have broke him. I am that kind of person who would talk to someone if they needed it badly; I would talk to them even if it's midnight and cheer them up. I was told that i'm like the rainbow after a little rain, but I guess not. I am Gwen, Gwen McPhee who doesn't want to see people sad.

I slowly walked over to the broken stranger, I made sure that I don't seem like i'm going to rape him or something because my intention is really different. The rain is pouring harder - I can feel the faint vibration of the fat raindrops hitting the roof of my umbrella and the sky is getting darker than it already was.

He finally noticed my presence as I stood beside the bench - still staring at the stranger. He looked over to me and a lightning appeared in the dark sky, it shone on his face and the irises of his eyes were hard under the limited light. I lightly bit on my bottom lip, thinking of something that I will say to him to not make him feel scared or uncomfortable.

"Excuse me, Mister." I started, he kept his gaze on me and I tried to flash a warming smile.

"Hey," his voice spoke. I smiled at him again while the rain kept on coming.

"Are you waiting for someone?" I politely asked.

He shook his head, "No..No. It's not like someone would take time and show up on me," I heard him under the rain. He is going to get sick.

"Then what are you doing here? I'm not being rude, just... curious.." I mentally cursed and punched myself for a thousand times.

"Because I like it here," he forced a smile, I can see the pain in them.

"Would.. Would you mind if I sit next to you?" I asked as I point on the empty space beside him, confusion was clear on his face but he just nodded his head.

I sat down beside him - not caring if my jeans and coat are soaking wet. I am sure he needs someone, and I will be here.

"You will get sick," I said as I held the umbrella near him. He shifted uncomfortably and I smiled - assuring him that I wouldn't harm him.

"Would you mind if I ask you your name?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. He was staring into an enpty space and I want him to speak.

"I don't want to be rude or anything but you need to go home, the rain is getting harder." he moved out of the umbrella and looked up the sky, he squirmed when the tight and wet raindrops made contact with his skin. I chuckled to myself and bit on my lips.

"I will not leave unless you stand under my umbrella," I whispered - moving closer to him and covered him from the rain. He looks a bit annoyed and I understand, I am a stranger, offering another stranger to stand under her umbrella and leave with her.

"Why would you even do that?" he asked, his lips slightly trembling.

"Look at you, I bet you feel really cold right now." I changed the subject and waved my hands infront of him.

"Who are you, even?"

"I am Gwen, and you are?" I smiled and he mirrored.

"I am Austin," he said.

"Well, Austin. As far as I am concerned, I want you to come with me so I can drive you back to your home, and make you a hot, delicious chocolate." I smiled again.

"No, I am staying here."

"No, you are not." I pressed, "A storm is about to come and I want you to come with me, I will not do anything to harm you because I have good intentions, sir. So would you pretty please stand under my umbrella and leave with me?"