Doing it for the Kids - Chapter Seven

Violet must have fallen asleep; she woke to a knock on the door. Rolling over and sitting up, she rubbed her eyes as the door opened slowly. Hendrick peeped around and offered a small smile.

"Truce?"

She tried to smile but felt the tears welling again.

"Hey!" he rushed across depositing the tray he carried on a side table he sat down next to her. "What is it?"

She shook her head, "I'm okay."

"No you're not. I'm sorry this is all my fault."

She looked up at him, "no I'm the one who's sorry. I shouldn't behave so ungratefully."

He laid a hand on her arm and she tried to ignore the spark traveling up her arm, "look, have a couple of days relaxing. You're tired. When you feel better we'll discuss things, ok?"

She snatched her arm away, unable to cope with her feelings for him; he instantly stiffened, reading her action as a rejection of his olive branch.

Shaking his head he stood, "Sorry Violet! I thought we were actually getting somewhere, but you're determined to make this unpleasant. I've got pressing things in the office, I was putting them off to help you, but hey I'll be the selfish bastard you think I am." With that he stormed out of the room.

Violet looked at the tray, laden with sandwiches and fruit, and a large mug of coffee. With a sigh she followed him downstairs, but there was no sign.

She found the twins sleeping on sofas in the large airy lounge both glad only in their swimming costumes. In a cupboard in the hallway she found some throws, and covered each of them with a light blanket.

As she made her way to the door, hoping to find Hendrick's home, she heard the unmistakable sound of an aeroplane taking off, and with a groan she saw it appear on the horizon, climbing away from the ranch, heading away from them all.

Violet was despondent. Without Hendrick she was the proverbial fish out of water. The twins woke mid afternoon, it was muggy, humid, and as she sat on a veranda watching them once again play in the pool, she spotted dark heavy clouds on the horizon. Within moments, it was raining, but not gentle soft rain, torrential floods. As they ran into the house already puddles were gathering around the garden. Bolting the doors, they dried themselves with dark fluffy towels, then all sat in the window watching a startling electrical storm.

Without their toys and games it was difficult to amuse the twins. She was never more glad than when the storm ebbed and she saw Anna crossing the forecourt outside the house. Opening the door she welcomed the older woman, they'd met briefly earlier.

"I was coming to reassure you of the weather; it can be very unpredictable this time of year."

Violet nodded, "it came on so quickly! I've realized now how heard it is to amuse the children when the rain puts the pool out of action!"

Anna nodded, "there are lots of things here. Shall I show you?" Before Violet had answered Anna was throwing open a hallway cupboard and pulling out lots of art and craft supplies. "In the lounge there is a games machine...."

It sounded like something archaic, but to the twins excitement a large plastic storage box opened to reveal a PlayStation. Within seconds they had set it up.

"Would you like a coffee Anna? I'm trying to find my way around here and I hear you're an expert! I was hoping to bend your ear!"

The older woman followed Violet into the kitchen, and hours later she left and Violet felt calmer than she had in ages.