Doing it for the Kids - 13

Violet was so grateful for the chance to get out and about. She'd loved her Christmas, the twins made everything so happy, so rewarding, but she missed adult conversation, she missed her friends. Fortunately her mother's best mate Julie was only too happy to babysit, and much to the twins' excitement, she'd invited them to stay at hers with her children too. Georgia and Edward were older than the twins, and the younger children LOVED the chance to spend time with them.

So fully glammed up in heeled boots, glossy black leggings and a silver slinky knit top, she felt good. Walking into the pub, she was swamped by Sarah a good friend, immediately slotting into conversations about mutual friends and topics with her and her partner Andy, not long later Matt and Jo turned up, and whilst the men hustled at pool, the three girls sat and demolished a bottle of red wine. As they were ordering the second bottle, a shout went up from the pool room as the two friends beat the local pool legends. Whooping and laughing they came back carrying a handful of notes.

"Come on! Curry on us, then we'll hit a club?"

Laughing the five left for a local Indian restaurant.

As they perused the menu Andy's phone rang and he looked a little awkward as he took the call, covering the mouthpiece, he looked at Violet, "it's John.....do you mind if he joins us?"

She shrugged, "not up to me, whatever!" Turning to Sarah she asked, "Did either of you mention my inheritance to John?"

Sarah blushed a little and nodded, "Andy told him in an email when you were in South Africa, he'd asked how you were, and he told him how pleased we all were."

Violet nodded knowingly, "I think that's why he's here. Because of that."

"Really?"

"It seems my inheritance has made me very popular!"

"We all love you!" Sarah suddenly announced so genuinely, looking sad.

Violet laughed and hugged her, "without you guys I honestly think I'd be insane without you guys and Jo and Matt!"

All too soon, John was making up the numbers sat opposite her. And as she looked at him she struggled to see any sign of attraction....but there was none. In fact she was closer to hating him than liking him, well hate was a strong word, maybe despise was better?

John ordered beer and food, then sat and smiled at her as the conversations progressed. Every attempt at conversation with her did seem to be money related....how much a job he was offered would pay.....inheritance tax law......South African diamond market values. How had she missed this over Christmas?

So Violet kept striking up conversations with Jo to her left in an attempt to get away from the weirdness, the greed of John. The food was excellent, yet very filling, and she was more than glad of the stroll to the next pub to ease her digestion.

They called at two pubs and then a hotel bar before planning to hit their favorite nightclub. There was a party in full swing at the second pub, so they stayed for a while enjoying the late Christmas celebrations.

"Straight to Purple Underground it is then!" Matt announced when he spotted the time, "if we don't get there soon, we'll not get in."

It was the only club they ever really frequented because they loved the music which was more rocky than dance, yet more dancey than rock. It was always busy, but they knew the guys on the door and were welcomed in to the dark basement quickly.

As the other two couples flew to the dance floor, Violet found herself alone with John, queuing for drinks at the bar.

"So, how do you feel about going out for some lunch tomorrow? Just me and you?"